iPhoto Killed Magic Lantern

Started by albert-e, November 21, 2012, 03:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albert-e

Warning:
I used iPhoto v9.4.2 (OS X Mountain Lion) in uploading my photos and clicked on "Delete Photos" this is a pop-up window after the process of uploading all the photos. That, killed Magic Lantern in the process. Anybody out there had the same unfortunate incident.

ilguercio

It probably formats the card as well, since if you ONLY delete the pictures ML won't be affected in any way.
Are you sure you or iPhoto only deleted pictures?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

scrax

What do you mean by killed?
Is still there an autoexec.bin on the card or not? And a ML folder?

If you want, make a disk image of the card before and one after the photo import and post a link there...
try also Image Capture for importing the pics instead of iPhoto, just to check if it works the same
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

albert-e

What's left are the ML folder without the autoexec.bin. One of the cards when I inserted it in and turn on the power, a blinking LED's, so I have to quickly take out the battery. The other boots and the firmware displays 'Firmware 1.1.1". I have to erase the two cards and repeat the ML 2.3 installation. It's back to normal functionality with Magic Lantern on my Canon 60D. I just want to warn the members to be careful when using iPhoto 9.4.2 in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2, I have not tried other OS X version like Lion or Snow Leopard and I don't intend to!

scrax

Quote from: albert-e on November 21, 2012, 07:02:43 PM
What's left are the ML folder without the autoexec.bin. One of the cards when I inserted it in and turn on the power, a blinking LED's, so I have to quickly take out the battery. The other boots and the firmware displays 'Firmware 1.1.1". I have to erase the two cards and repeat the ML 2.3 installation. It's back to normal functionality with Magic Lantern on my Canon 60D. I just want to warn the members to be careful when using iPhoto 9.4.2 in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2, I have not tried other OS X version like Lion or Snow Leopard and I don't intend to!
I didn't ask you to try with other system but with the app Image Capture bundled with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 like iPhoto, something like: take some pic of the wall in front of you and try to import them with Image Capture.
If this works we can have a workaround for users like you, since you will be able to move pics to your mac without problems.
It's good to share experience to avoid problems to other people, but your report is not really clear to me, and maybe for others too.
That way if it's fixable or just an human error it's hard to help.

This is what I understood:
1-You have two card with ML installed and working good.
2-You take pics, videos with all the two card without problems.
3-You drop your first card in a card reader connected to a mac.
4-From iPhoto you import the pics from the card.
5-At the end iPhoto ask you if you want to remove the pics from the card.
6-After confirm the card has DCIM and MISC only folders (any file on root)?
7-You drop your first card in a card reader connected to a mac.
8-From iPhoto you import the pics from the card.
9-At the end iPhoto ask you if you want to remove the pics from the card.
10-After confirm the card has DCIM , MISC and ML folders but autoexec.bin is missing?

11-The first one will hang camera at boot (battery pull)
12-The other one will work like without ML

Is that correct? What i've misunderstood?
Quote from: ilguercio on November 21, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
It probably formats the card as well, since if you ONLY delete the pictures ML won't be affected in any way.
Are you sure you or iPhoto only deleted pictures?

Apple is evil, but I'm pretty sure iPhoto will not format a card after asking confirmation to remove imported files.
On mainstream OS an app that ask you confirmation for a simple reversible task, and then instead it formats the disk is called a virus ;)
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

albert-e

6-After confirm the card has DCIM and MISC only folders (any file on root)?
Yes, there are files on the root but didn't check the rest of the files other the autoexec.bin.

I'll try to use Image Capture as you suggested to upload photos.

scrax

so there is no more even a ML folder, please post a screen of the card folder (with cmd+shift+4 you can grab it). I'm on 1.7 without iPhoto so can't try to reproduce.