RAW to dng & tiff to Prores, DNxHD, Mjpeg, h264... [EyeFrame Converter]

Started by tin2tin, September 15, 2012, 09:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin2tin

More updates:
1.7.1 New: Menus
1.7.0 By Khaver: Fixed the endless loop bug when using "o" and "f" to add image sequences and Avisynth scripts. - Added the file name into the set frame rate dialog for image sequences and Avisynth scripts. - Changed UTC date and times gathered from ffmbc and mediainfo into local time so timecode reflects local time.
1.6.9 Use file name as embedded reel name, which can be useful if an LW exported EDL with file names is needed in ex. Blender.
1.6.8 New: Key "o" opens a select files dialog and key "f" opens a select folder dialog.
1.6.7 New: Keys "h" and "c" to display a message box containing the controls(rhinox202) Conversion duration(rhinox202) Bugfix: Adding folders containing image sequences(Khaver).
1.6.6 By rhinox202 New: Proxy message removed after clicking "Convert for editing". Proxy option added to "Set export formats" window. Conversion duration added to "Conversion finished" message box
1.6.5 By Khaver New: Enhanced image sequence import. Image sequences can be tif, jpg, png, tga or bmp files. The number of frames digits is not limited to 6 places. Any frame digit length will work. The first frame doesn't need to be 00000, etc. It can start at any number. The program will find the first frame in the sequence if you don't drag in the first file. Bugfix: Fixed the problem with 25fps being used to determine the duration of image sequences and other bug fixes.
1.6.4 New: Add prefix to selection of exported file names by right clicking item in the Name row. Leave prefix entry box empty to remove previously added prefixes from selected items. - L-key opens the ffmbc_log in Notepad.

tin2tin

EyeFrame Converter 1.7.8 with Magic Lantern RAW import is up!

NEW: Convert Magic Lantern RAW files to dng, tiff and ex. Prores, DNxHD, MPEG2 I Frame HD and MJPEG.

- Add files/folders to the GUI or use the menus.
- Select the folder to add the pngs and tiff files in.
- Now the pngs and tiff files will be added to the folders.
- Then EFC opens the tiff image sequence.
- Select the frame rate(the first will be used for all following RAW imports)
- To preview the video double click on the thumbnail of the video.
- Right click on the colums to change values like T/C, R/N, Prefix and frame rate.
- Click 'Convert'.
- Select a Edit format(high quality) or a delivery format(mp4 for uploading).
- And let EFC batch convewrt all the files to the selected video formats.

Download it here!

aaphotog

Is this for Mac?
Also, if it converts from the .RAW files to pro res video, what does it do about the whacky white balance??? Given that the files will no longer be raw, changing the white balance on a pro res file will not be of the best quality, correct?

tin2tin

Not for Mac. It's just using a simple dcraw setting, so there is the Magenta feel to it. Let me know if someone has a suggestion how to solve this.

IliasG

Quote from: tin2tin on June 02, 2013, 08:21:55 PM
Not for Mac. It's just using a simple dcraw setting, so there is the Magenta feel to it. Let me know if someone has a suggestion how to solve this.

Change the WB multipliers in DNG.exif from 1 2.477 1.462 (order is green, red, blue) to something more natural. Look at exif.makers data of a normal 5DIII raw and you will find Canon's WB preset values.
For example Daylight preset is (REd, Green1, Green2, Blue) 2024, 1024, 1024, 1664 so normalizing for Green=1 .. R= 1.976563, B= 1.625. Tungsten is 1452 1024 1024 2473 and normalized 1 1.417969 2.415039 ...

In case of Black Level different from 2047 or 2048 set it at one of those values (the nearest).

I think that White level should be at 16382 instead of 15000 (to keep a bit more highlights from burning), waiting for some burned samples at all ISO to be sure about this.

tin2tin

Thanks for your inputs. I've uploaded a new version with a dcraw.ini file(C:\Users\Public\Documents\EyeFrame Data) which looks like this(this is the default):
[commandline]
$rawset="-v -w -T -H 2"

Here the dcraw command line can be changed manually.

This is as far as I got testing tonight:
[commandline]
$rawset="-v -4 -r 1.976563 1 1.6252 1 -H 2 -T -b 3.5 -s 2048"

The first one is not 16 bit, and the second is very dark.

What would you guys say should be the default one?

IliasG

Quote from: tin2tin on June 03, 2013, 12:18:52 AM
Thanks for your inputs. I've uploaded a new version with a dcraw.ini file(C:\Users\Public\Documents\EyeFrame Data) which looks like this(this is the default):
[commandline]
$rawset="-v -w -T -H 2"

Here the dcraw command line can be changed manually.

This is as far as I got testing tonight:
[commandline]
$rawset="-v -4 -r 1.976563 1 1.6252 1 -H 2 -T -b 3.5 -s 2048"

The first one is not 16 bit, and the second is very dark.

What would you guys say should be the default one?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean Black Level & White Level could be changed in exif (with exiftool) before opening the DNG with Dcraw.

Please upload your testing samples ..

The dark result could be the result of a linear (gamma=1) file without tag so the viewer opens it as if it was gamma 2.2

Or .. With some Dcraw builds the -s option changes Black Level on top off the existing so if it's already 2041 -s 2048 makes it  4089 .. You have to use -s 7 ..
But you have to read the BL as a first step and then decide. Recent ML builds do not have significant error at BL so you can leave it as is and correct only if after using a correct WB you see magenta or green cast at the dark areas. Use + for magenta and - for green cast.

tin2tin

EyeFrame Converter 1.7.9 is out!

Improvements:
- Stability issues
- Speed improvements
- Avoid pink color switch
- 16 bit

These are the dcraw settings which makes my 60D footage look okay(dunno how correct it is, but the settings can be changed manually):
-v -T -4 -b 3.9 -S 11597 -r 2.1426 1 1.5488 0
(daylight setting)

Change the dcraw settings in dcraw.ini file(C:\Users\Public\Documents\EyeFrame Data) which looks like this:
[commandline]
$rawset="-v -T -4 -b 3.9 -S 11597 -r 2.1426 1 1.5488 0"

More on the dcraw settings can be found here.

bumkicho

Hi I have a bunch of folders with dng files from before. Is there a way to pick up from there? Right now it does raw-dng-tiff-conversion, right? Is there a way to start from dng files?

tin2tin

I'm sorry no it is not possible. It's much faster than the previous version, but it still takes time. Tiff sequences starting from zero can be opened though.

AriLG

Its very slow, and can't be uninstalled ("utCompileCode cannot be found" something)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

tin2tin

Did you try 1.7.9?
Dcraw is not too fast, but you might be able to find a faster version which fits you system better here: https://sites.google.com/site/manuelllorens/

I'm not getting that uninstallation error here on Win 8, but I've tried to fix it and uploaded EFC 1.7.9 again. I hope this will take care of that uninstallation error(but I can check it, because I can't reproduce it here).
If that doesn't solve it and you just want to get rid of EFC then just delete the EyeFrame Converter folder in Programs, and a folder called 'Eyeframe Data'.

bumkicho

tin2tin,

Thank you for sharing your program with us. I think it is a very useful tool. Below is my feedback after testing it.

1. Does it always need to copy a raw file over? I already have bunch of raw files in my hard drive and I would like to avoid unnecessary copying and pasting time. Possible?

2. When I need to pick a source file and a destination file, it won't let me go up to parent folders. If its source folder is set to F:\Raw, but I would like to pick another source folder F:\Raw2, for example, I cannot do it because I can't go up to its parent folder F:\
I can edit .ini file and reopen the program, but it's a pain.

3. It seems to struggle when a file is bigger. I have a couple 8GB raw files, it just hangs when trying to process these files.

Thanks again for your work.

tin2tin

raw2dng and the raw file must be in the same folder. There is no destination option in raw2dng. Instead of messing around in the folder with the source files and then copy the resulting files to a new folder afterwards, I think it is more hygienic to copy the files before the processing.  I wish that raw2dng eventually would get an output path option, so this the copy step could be avoided.

I've fixed the folder dialog and uploaded a new 1.7.9.

If you open the Menu: View > Log you can see in end of the file in what process it hangs (either dng2raw or dcraw), and try to locate a newer/better version(for dcraw check the link above) and let me know if that will solve the problem of larger files.

AriLG

Quote from: tin2tin on June 04, 2013, 01:44:51 PM
I'm not getting that uninstallation error here on Win 8, but I've tried to fix it and uploaded EFC 1.7.9 again. I hope this will take care of that uninstallation error (but I can check it, because I can't reproduce it here).
I re-downloaded, re-installed... now it lets me uninstall. thanks.

I figured out why it looked "slow" : I didn't notice it craetes dng AND tiff at one go. so, now I understand.

But, if I may.... when I import my footage to ACR, I auto WB every frame, and export. EF generated tiffs looks yellow bleached. how can I correct this ? (excuse the laymen questions... :-\)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

tin2tin

Great the the uninstaller now works! And you don't think it is that slow anymore :D

The white balance setting can be changed as described above: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2732.msg44999#msg44999

You could try with the old default setting($rawset="-v -w -T -H 2") - or look in the end of this post to find values which will fit your shooting conditions better.

QuoteDaylight: -r 2.1426, 1, 1.5488, 0
Shade: -r 2.4619, 1, 1.3193, 0
Cloudy: -r 2.3066, 1, 1.4258, 0
Tungsten: -r 1.5264, 1, 2.3428, 0
WhiteFluorescent: -r 1.9072, 1, 2.1973, 0
Flash: -r 2.3701, 1, 1.4141, 0

AriLG

Quote from: tin2tin on June 04, 2013, 04:27:02 PM
You could try with the old default setting($rawset="-v -w -T -H 2") - or look in the end of this post to find values which will fit your shooting conditions better.
Ahhh... but you see, that's the thing : in ACR you see instantly how the AUTO settings effected your frame, and you can correct accordingly.

So with EF it's kind of an guessing game ? (not wanting to sound rude, just that it's all a workflow time thing : if I can't compensate certain things with EF, I might get into troubles later... and I'll prefer to "sacrifice" a little time...)

Thanks, friend !
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

tin2tin

The dng files are straight from raw2dng. I can't change the wb on those files. Are you using the dng files?

The settings mentioned above are for dcraw.exe for creating the tiff>video files. The settings are dcraw settings google then for further explanation. However those numbers for daylight, flash etc. is just a question of what light conditions you shot in and then can correct them.

tin2tin

Noticed that raw2dng writes the fps, so now it is automatically detected and added in EFC.

IliasG

Quote from: tin2tin on June 04, 2013, 04:27:02 PM
    Daylight: -r 2.1426, 1, 1.5488, 0
    Shade: -r 2.4619, 1, 1.3193, 0
    Cloudy: -r 2.3066, 1, 1.4258, 0
    Tungsten: -r 1.5264, 1, 2.3428, 0
    WhiteFluorescent: -r 1.9072, 1, 2.1973, 0
    Flash: -r 2.3701, 1, 1.4141, 0

tin2tin, I think (not checked yet) that the last multiplier should be 1 instead of 0 or else you clip one of the two green channels ..

tin2tin

Had a quick look, but couldn't see any difference between 0 and 1 in the last number.  ???

3pointedit

This is certainly excellent work. Great workflow. Is there any chance that the app can be created as a portable app? For mobile use at other PCs (no admin rights at my client terminal) :(
550D on ML-roids

tin2tin

If the folder called Eyeframa Data is placed in the correct path the main Eyeframe Converter folder can be placed where you like. That doesn't make it fully portable,  but I guess you could call it moveable.

Maybe if you set the path of the data folder in the ini file you can move them where you want. The important thing is that the Eyeframe data folder must be located in a place with writing permissions for editing and saving new presets.

tin2tin

Uploaded an improved version(same version number) with a bit faster RAW import thanks to A1ex: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.msg47583#msg47583

The included default dcraw 16 bit setting seems to get rid of the pink cast on the RAW video shot on a 60D.

tin2tin