5D Mark II. ML 2.3. (black screen, blinks) but doesn't work.

Started by PeteMarlboro, September 14, 2012, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteMarlboro

and the most that bothering me.. all functions (buttons on the top. wheel of shutter speed, all of them works. i can see it by EOS utility..)

a1ex

The program area (executable code) is identical to mine (checked in hex editor - vbindiff). The only differences are in settings area, which is normal (this area includes some camera-specific things like calibration data afaik).

I can restore the camera to defaults, but that's a bit different than what you select in menu (it will also change your language to Japanese, so the service guys will question you). I've tried it today on my 5D2, seems to work fine (although first time I've ran it during sensor cleaning and camera locked up - thought I've bricked it, but it's fine).

If you want to try, just let me know and I'll send you the binary. I give it 0.1% chances of success.

PeteMarlboro

btw - if take a pic by EOS utility (windows 7 in VMWare fusion) it saves pics on my mac. and it's white pic with strange details.
here is the pic (it was RAW)

http://www.petepolyakov.com/logs/test.jpg

a1ex

Ouch. This is probably another hint of hardware problem.

It's your choice, but it will probably remove any trace of warranty that you might have.

PeteMarlboro

i bought the camera 4 years ago. do you think i have any warranty? i think it was expired couple years ago. i remeber in 2010 a asked them to change the sensor because there was several red dots. and they changed it. that's all. nothing else.

PeteMarlboro

well, if we have 0.1% of chance that we can fix it. let's try.

a1ex

PeteMarlboro

finally it didn't, updated from japan to 2.1.2, menu in english (everything still the same, but i kinda can see "update mode", like in a extra luma mode).

a1ex

PeteMarlboro

no, only in installation mode.
it's colored now, but quality kinda bad, like a lot of luma and vignette and dark.
i was thinking maybe it's a cable. or something like this.

nanomad

From here it smells like one or multiple data lines connecting "our" cpu to the Tx is severed, possibly a whole bank...who knows why. The telling symptoms are:
- No feedback from top LCD
- No pictures from the sensor (I didn't sound like it was trying to use AF and AF outside of live view should be controlled by the Tx chip)
- Back LCD shows distorted images while in bootloader mode, no pictures from main firmware.
- No error reported by main firmware
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

triklens

I think I am having the same problem as the OP. :( My 5d2 is on fw 2.1.2 and ML 2.3. When I turned it on, the memory card led blinks and the main lcd screen backlight seems on but only flickers with no information displayed. When the shutter button is pressed, the mirror flip (as it should) but the shutter screen doest move at all and nothing is recorded on the memory card.

Following what the OP did, I have also connected the camera to EOS utility. When shutter is released from EOS utility, the quick preview shows only pink lines.  :o So I also followed with installing raw 2.1.2 firmware, the installation could be completed successfully but the problem still persist  :(

I would like to know if you have solved your problem Pete? how did u managed to do it?

Btw, I have tried changing with another fully charged batter, another memory card that hasnt been installed with ML before, removing the clock battery and main batter for a while. But nothing helps.

Edit:
This is the startup log: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzlplPKlK-HDVC1kUzRQZU5mQmc/edit?usp=sharing

connertech

I've got exactly the same problem as the OP. Fortunately, I am the Russian repairman :) So, for the fixing of your Canon EOS 5D Mark II with these symptoms you should:
- remove back, front, and top covers: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+EOS+5D+Mark+II+Top+Panel+Replacement/33383
- find the power board beneath top LCD, unscrew it and remove shield
- find the fuse F601 (white SMD component with N letter, 2A current) and check it with multimeter. Mine was blowed. You can also check the others.
- replace it with new fuse or thin copper wire. I've used 0.08 mm wire.
- reassemble your camera and check it. Good luck :)