5D Mark II. ML 2.3. (black screen, blinks) but doesn't work.

Started by PeteMarlboro, September 14, 2012, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteMarlboro

i've been using ML for a long time, updated to 2.3 in august.
yesterday i was taking some footage (everything was fine). today i turned on the camera on the set ... and it didn't work. it was .... and on saturday morning i will need my camera on the set again and the producer will shoot me if i won't fix my camera.

symptoms

boot (i think). when it boot i can see reaction of the screen but it's black. i see the blinking red led as usual when ML is booting.

menu on the top of the camera doesn't work (doesn't show anything). viewfinder doesn't show parameters (iso, etc)

the screen react on the buttons ("menu", "info", "delete"MLmenu", etc) but doesn't show anything. just black (but alive).

when i press the shoot button - sounds like it works, the screen reacts (still black) but doesn't record any pictures.

EOS utility - connects to the camera, but only works with several options (for example LIVE view - sounds like open the shutter and closed it in next second).

update of firmware - works.

when i updated firmware via eos utility, the process started and in the install mode i had a chance to see progress scale but in strange "luma/grey" mode on the camera display. but when i updated the firmware nothing is changed. (except the fact that live view stopped reacting altogether, but it's ok because by defaults live view doesn't work on this button).

the screen didn't show up again anything. when i installed ML 2.3 again (via eos utility (i put all the files on the flash card too), it showed me some horizontal line" without any text and after reload everything was the same.

what i did

checked batteries

unplugged grip with batteries, lens, took out batteries. after that put everything back. (didn't help).   

did try to reinstall original firmware 2.1.2 by using EOS utility (didn't help).

did try to install ML 2.3 on the using EOS utility (didn't help).

a1ex

So, without card, the symptoms are the same, right?

Can you do a few photos or a short video to help me understand the issue?

Were you able to navigate Canon menus?

I can prepare a few autoexec files to diagnose it and maybe to clear camera settings without requiring access to menus.

PeteMarlboro

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 08:12:59 AM
So, without card, the symptoms are the same, right?

Can you do a few photos or a short video to help me understand the issue?

Were you able to navigate Canon menus?

I can prepare a few autoexec files to diagnose it and maybe to clear camera settings without requiring access to menus.

1. the same. just don't blink (cuz nothing to use from cf card.

2. i'm doing this right now and i will publish it in 10 min.

3. no. i can't see any menu.

4. it would be awesome Alex! Don't want to sound cheesy but you will save my ass if it will help.

a1ex

Okay, first thing to run is this diagnostic tool:

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/startup-log/autoexec.bin

It does this:
- change firmware version number in Canon menu (2.1.2-ml-something)
- beep once
- blink the blue LED 5 times
- save a log file with Canon messages, in the root of the card, named LOGxxx.LOG.

Paste the log file here, it may give some clues.

a1ex

Ah, and another thing. Plug an external monitor in the A/V out and also in the HDMI (try to borrow one if you don't have). It worked for some people: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?274188-I-did-a-bad-thing&p=2527639&viewfull=1#post2527639

If you don't have any kind of monitor, plug the A/V cable and listen (with headphones) on the yellow jack - the video signal is on that one.

PeteMarlboro

I did it already on the set and here too (hdmi monitor). the monitor says no signal.

a1ex

a1ex

Okay. Can you do a short video of what happens when you update Canon firmware? You mentioned something that colors are wrong.

When you update the firmware, the normal Canon code is not used at all (display is brought up by bootloader code or by firmware update code). This might suggest hardware problem.

PeteMarlboro

on this video i booted the camera with your autoexec.bin

also logs (i turned on the camera twice as you can see on the video)

http://www.petepolyakov.com/logs/log006.log
http://www.petepolyakov.com/logs/log007.log

oh no please God.. if it's hardware it will be just terrible...

i will record process of firmware update right now

PeteMarlboro

btw Alex, thank you so much for helping with my problem, i'm not just appreciate it.. it's really very important for me.
thanks.
i will publish the video in 5 minutes.

update!
had to update the camera via windows, got some time. uploading on youtube!

a1ex

Hm, the lack of blue blink and of top display info is also unusual.

Those things are controlled by another CPU, Tx19a, and we don't have access to it: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Tx19a

Next thing to try: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/rom-dump/autoexec.bin

This one saves a file named ROM.BIN containing Canon firmware (executable code, settings, hopefully the entire permanent storage). Compress this file and send it to me.

PeteMarlboro

PeteMarlboro

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 09:40:00 AM
Hm, the lack of blue blink and of top display info is also unusual.

Those things are controlled by another CPU, Tx19a, and we don't have access to it: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Tx19a

Next thing to try: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/rom-dump/autoexec.bin

This one saves a file named ROM.BIN containing Canon firmware (executable code, settings, hopefully the entire permanent storage). Compress this file and send it to me.

should i install ML before, right?

a1ex

In the same way as you got the log file (just copy the autoexec over that one).

PeteMarlboro

okay. uploading (~4 min).
btw "cleaning sensor" process doesn't work on the start up (at least doesn't sound as usual). should it work or not in this situation. idk.
i don't use auto cleaning sensor, but i thought that firmware update clean the settings. but maybe it should be like this now.

a1ex

If you start the camera too often, sensor cleaning will not run.

a1ex

Downloading.

Meanwhile, my current diagnostic is hardware display problem, and I don't think it can be fixed via software. Sorry.

I believe the firmware update is able to drive the display because the code is simpler (and probably it doesn't do the complete checks that main firmware may do).

Still, this won't explain why you can't take pictures; maybe the problem is not just on the display.

I'll analyze the dump, and if I'll come to some different conclusion, I'll get back to you.

PeteMarlboro

i was thinking about the display too.
but as you can see - the hdmi monitor shows "no signal".
second - if it doesn't show anything - why it shows "updating mode" and so crazy way, what's the different for screen "regular" menu and etc. and install mode?

a1ex

I've explained you what's different - during updates, main firmware is not used at all. Bootloader code is a lot smaller and probably simpler.

Did you try a SD monitor via A/V jack? (if you don't have, listen to the yellow jack).

PeteMarlboro

i think the problem not in the display. because all other functions in the camera would work.
i don't know how works all this stuff inside of mark ii, but i think it can be some error that ML did. because if it sensor, why pictures doesn't record pictures with error on the card. if it cpu - why it works in general (i mean boot) and you can press the buttons. if it just screen why don't work other functions and how is screen connected to viewfinder (there nothing too), and to the menu on the top of the camera.
why hdmi doesn't work.

it should be "program" brains. or some hardware on the main board (just guessing, i'm not a programmer)

PeteMarlboro

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 10:22:59 AM
I've explained you what's different - during updates, main firmware is not used at all. Bootloader code is a lot smaller and probably simpler.

Did you try a SD monitor via A/V jack? (if you don't have, listen to the yellow jack).

i don't have a cable for av output but i'll try to find something in the basement. give me several minutes please.

a1ex

Embedded software usually works in closed-loop. That means, if something goes wrong on some hardware part, the functionality of other parts can also be affected, even if they appear to be unrelated.

I have already proven that the failure is hardware. Cause is unknown, there are lots of cameras without ML that had problems. I don't think it was caused by ML, just look at the number of downloads. If there was a destructive bug in ML, it's very likely that others would have noticed too.

PeteMarlboro

i'm just guessing, if it would be ML it would mean that probably it can be fixed by some program shot like autoexec.bin or something. if hardware it's really bad for me.

or if it could be some connector inside of the camera i would take it on the parts, connect the cable and put everything back. but i feel that it's not the problem. it would be awesome if you will see something in this bin.rom sure if you can see something there that could say - problem is there, or here.

sorry Alex, i got a lot of your time, just i wasn't ready for this "death" of the camera and idk how to fix it before saturday. just bad, so bad situation for me. and thanks again. i hope bin.rom will give some hope.. to fix it less bloody method than repair service

PeteMarlboro

and the most that bothering me.. all functions (buttons on the top. wheel of shutter speed, all of them works. i can see it by EOS utility..)

a1ex

The program area (executable code) is identical to mine (checked in hex editor - vbindiff). The only differences are in settings area, which is normal (this area includes some camera-specific things like calibration data afaik).

I can restore the camera to defaults, but that's a bit different than what you select in menu (it will also change your language to Japanese, so the service guys will question you). I've tried it today on my 5D2, seems to work fine (although first time I've ran it during sensor cleaning and camera locked up - thought I've bricked it, but it's fine).

If you want to try, just let me know and I'll send you the binary. I give it 0.1% chances of success.

PeteMarlboro

btw - if take a pic by EOS utility (windows 7 in VMWare fusion) it saves pics on my mac. and it's white pic with strange details.
here is the pic (it was RAW)

http://www.petepolyakov.com/logs/test.jpg

a1ex

Ouch. This is probably another hint of hardware problem.

It's your choice, but it will probably remove any trace of warranty that you might have.

PeteMarlboro

i bought the camera 4 years ago. do you think i have any warranty? i think it was expired couple years ago. i remeber in 2010 a asked them to change the sensor because there was several red dots. and they changed it. that's all. nothing else.

PeteMarlboro

well, if we have 0.1% of chance that we can fix it. let's try.

a1ex

PeteMarlboro

finally it didn't, updated from japan to 2.1.2, menu in english (everything still the same, but i kinda can see "update mode", like in a extra luma mode).

a1ex

PeteMarlboro

no, only in installation mode.
it's colored now, but quality kinda bad, like a lot of luma and vignette and dark.
i was thinking maybe it's a cable. or something like this.

nanomad

From here it smells like one or multiple data lines connecting "our" cpu to the Tx is severed, possibly a whole bank...who knows why. The telling symptoms are:
- No feedback from top LCD
- No pictures from the sensor (I didn't sound like it was trying to use AF and AF outside of live view should be controlled by the Tx chip)
- Back LCD shows distorted images while in bootloader mode, no pictures from main firmware.
- No error reported by main firmware
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

triklens

I think I am having the same problem as the OP. :( My 5d2 is on fw 2.1.2 and ML 2.3. When I turned it on, the memory card led blinks and the main lcd screen backlight seems on but only flickers with no information displayed. When the shutter button is pressed, the mirror flip (as it should) but the shutter screen doest move at all and nothing is recorded on the memory card.

Following what the OP did, I have also connected the camera to EOS utility. When shutter is released from EOS utility, the quick preview shows only pink lines.  :o So I also followed with installing raw 2.1.2 firmware, the installation could be completed successfully but the problem still persist  :(

I would like to know if you have solved your problem Pete? how did u managed to do it?

Btw, I have tried changing with another fully charged batter, another memory card that hasnt been installed with ML before, removing the clock battery and main batter for a while. But nothing helps.

Edit:
This is the startup log: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzlplPKlK-HDVC1kUzRQZU5mQmc/edit?usp=sharing

connertech

I've got exactly the same problem as the OP. Fortunately, I am the Russian repairman :) So, for the fixing of your Canon EOS 5D Mark II with these symptoms you should:
- remove back, front, and top covers: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+EOS+5D+Mark+II+Top+Panel+Replacement/33383
- find the power board beneath top LCD, unscrew it and remove shield
- find the fuse F601 (white SMD component with N letter, 2A current) and check it with multimeter. Mine was blowed. You can also check the others.
- replace it with new fuse or thin copper wire. I've used 0.08 mm wire.
- reassemble your camera and check it. Good luck :)