Silent Pictures & 5DmkII

Started by Gilles BILLARD, February 17, 2013, 11:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles BILLARD

Hi from France,
I try to use ML Silent Pictures capabilities.
I cannot read the "Silent Pic Hi-Res " mode in the "Silent Picture" sub-menu. Only "Burst" & "Simple" modes are available.Where is the problem (if any) ?(Autofocus is M on the lens switch(OFF))
My goal is to use Silent mode along with a program of my own to shoot GigaPixel images of microscopic subjects (tens of stacked images stiched together)
X, Y, Z moves are controlled via stepper motor and my 5D is triggered via the  USB plug; It would be a great Plus if I could avoid the use of the curtains and the increase of the shutter counter along with high resolution pictures.
++

a1ex

It's not working on 5D2.

If you have some coding skills, you can fix it yourself (you need to edit shoot.c and 422-jpg.py, basically changing offsets by trial and error until you get a good picture).

Gilles BILLARD

Hoooo, I see; too bad !  :(
Can I expect an update that will make this mode working with 5DII ?
++

a1ex

No, but you are welcome to fix it and submit a patch.

1%

Is the feature just turned off on the 5d2 builds or does it not work? High res pics work on 6d/600D. You might be disappointed with the quality though if used to regular pics as they are made from YUV data like the video.

Since you have full motorized camera control, it might be better to take regular silent pics while moving the camera. The zoomed "high res" ones may have cuts or more resizing.

*hhehe, just saw alignment is screwy on 6D, have to fix it. Maybe why its not working for everyone, different LV buffer sizes@zoom?

a1ex

Yes, alignment is only correct for 550D/60D/600D.

1%

And now 6D :)

Only tried a 2x2 so far but looks alright.

Gilles BILLARD

Quote from: 1%
Is the feature just turned off on the 5d2 builds or does it not work? High res pics work on 6d/600D.
High res. is turned off (or not implemented) for 5DII; High Res option doesn't appear in the menu.

Quote from: 1%
You might be disappointed with the quality though if used to regular pics as they are made from YUV data like the video.
Since you have full motorized camera control, it might be better to take regular silent pics while moving the camera. The zoomed "high res" ones may have cuts or more resizing........
Can you tell why, when I shoot  zoomed "high res" pict., they cannot be converted via YUV422 converter due to missing image size informations.........?

Here after: 1st image: full size; 2nd: x5; 3rd:x10.