Cineform Studio (free) 1080p transcoding issues

Started by Andy600, September 13, 2012, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Is anyone else having a problem getting GoPro Cineform Studio (free version) to work with 1080p files?

I have it working perfectly on an old laptop running XP but it just crashes if I try to open a 1080p file on my desktop system (i7-3700k running Windows 7 64bit). It seems to be a resolution issue with Canon H.264 because 720p files open fine and I have some old Nikon 1080p's that open ok too.

I've tried everything I can think of and even contacted GoPro but they won't even acknowledge my problem. I can of course still work with the laptop but it's very slow.

I have also tried to convert with other converters like Mpeg Streamclip but I get a 'license expired' error for the Cineform codec.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

bart

Hi I had little luck with this studio as well. I tried to encode from virtualdub and get the same license error.

I have a license for Neoscene but that doesn't work very well with premier cs6. It doesn't install the cineform presets so previous projects made with the cineform presets don't even load.

Schloime

Andy, I have the same problem. On one machine it works fine, on another (newer one) it crashes with 1080p.
600D, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 55-200, SNS-HDR, Photoshop7, Lightroom, Lightwave, Lightworks, Light everywhere

tin2tin

Use GoProCineFormStudioPC-1.0.1.60.exe instead of the latest version. This one will let you export in 1080p from VirtualDub as well as use the various configurations - they are greyed out in the latest version.

However this version of the studio doesn't allow import of .mov files. VLC can be used for changing the container ex. mov > mp4. Select Media->Convert/Save, select files, Convert->Save, click "Create New Profile" icon, change container, mark keep original video and audio tracks.

Andy600

OK I think I've finally worked this one out :)

Copying 1080p.mov files to a windows drive causes CF Studio to crash. 720p files are ok! This got me thinking.

The recorded dimensions of a 1080p file from my 600d/T3i footage is 1920x1088 (with 8 lines cropped off to make it 1080) and CF studio (free) can only work with 1920x1080p. I tried re-wrapping footage, renaming, everything I could think of but still no luck.

I just tried again to convert something but instead of copying the footage to my drives I pointed CF Studio to the SD card. It WORKS!! :D

Must be something in the way my card reader or Windows 7 64bit handles data.

Weirdly the Cineform transcoded files are only slightly bigger than the H.264 files thanks to 1%'s GOP/BR build.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

bigjoe

Quote from: b4rt on September 13, 2012, 11:05:28 AM
Hi I had little luck with this studio as well. I tried to encode from virtualdub and get the same license error.

I have a license for Neoscene but that doesn't work very well with premier cs6. It doesn't install the cineform presets so previous projects made with the cineform presets don't even load.

I download VIrtubaldub but i dont know how to use it... watch the tutorials in youtube but still i cant make it out...