5d3 3840*1536 video!

Started by 70MM13, May 26, 2023, 10:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

I noticed during a recent video shoot that 3840*1536 in UHD 1:1 mode seemed to be quite stable for recording with card spanning, overclock and bilal's hacks enabled, at least for a short clip.

Here is a video using only that mode.  It worked perfectly!

One thing to keep in mind:  This mode is quite good at balancing the data between the 2 cards, so you either need a 256GB SD card, or be prepared to run out of recording time pretty quickly...

No upscaling!  MLVFS straight to resolve.  Edited, graded and output to NVenc HEVC 10 bit 4:4:4 in record time!

I never thought I'd see native 3840 raw video from the 5d3...

https://youtu.be/t16bqfoqhbY

OBVIOUSLY watch in 4k!

Jonneh

Looks incredible. What recording bit depth were you using here?

P.S. How lucky to see a beautiful red squirrel (although less so to have it scrabbling around in your roof cavity). Good job with the fix.

EDIT: I played around with this this afternoon and was getting pretty reliable recording at 3840x1536 at 14 bits and with the preview left on (overclocking at 240 and all of the hacks on).

The incremental changes by Danne and Bilal (possibly with input from dpjpandone?) over the last couple of years have really boosted the usability of the camera in terms of crashes, recording times at higher res modes and with higher bit depths, and the simply wonderful ultrafast_gray preview, which is perfectly good enough for framing and lets me use the x5 mode for focus on a phone/external monitor. It's a perfect setup! My girlfriend uses the Ursa Mini and A7SIII, and although they're great, she's always lusting after the ML'd 5D3's colours and rendering. :-P
5D3 / 100D

vastunghia

Nice! Rolling shutter is almost unbearable at this resolution though. A gimbal is a must.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

70MM13

Yes, it was 14 bit!

and yes, this is a pretty amazing thing...

I really like how the writing is more balanced between the cards in this mode.  I wonder if there's a way to make this happen with the other modes too?  It might be the reason this seems to be more reliable?

Damiafix

Quote from: 70MM13 on May 26, 2023, 10:59:18 AM
I noticed during a recent video shoot that 3840*1536 in UHD 1:1 mode seemed to be quite stable for recording with card spanning, overclock and bilal's hacks enabled, at least for a short clip.

Here is a video using only that mode.  It worked perfectly!

One thing to keep in mind:  This mode is quite good at balancing the data between the 2 cards, so you either need a 256GB SD card, or be prepared to run out of recording time pretty quickly...

No upscaling!  MLVFS straight to resolve.  Edited, graded and output to NVenc HEVC 10 bit 4:4:4 in record time!

I never thought I'd see native 3840 raw video from the 5d3...

https://youtu.be/t16bqfoqhbY

OBVIOUSLY watch in 4k!

Amazing results, thanks for sharing. What sd card are you using?
Canon 5d Mark III, Firmware: 1.1.3, Lexar Professional 1667x SD card 128 GB, SDXC UHS-II, up to 250 MB/s., Lexar Professional CF 128 GB 1066x (160 MB/s) UDMA 7

70MM13

i'm using a sandisk extreme pro 170mb/s sd card and komputerbay 1066x cf card

Damiafix

Thanks for answering. I suppose 240Mhz overclock to film 3840*1536 in UHD 1:1. Is the system stable?
Canon 5d Mark III, Firmware: 1.1.3, Lexar Professional 1667x SD card 128 GB, SDXC UHS-II, up to 250 MB/s., Lexar Professional CF 128 GB 1066x (160 MB/s) UDMA 7

70MM13

It seemed OK, but it's extremely sensitive to highlights, and there's NO preview!!