Canon 5D mark III, external monitor and magic lantern

Started by Novak30, May 28, 2023, 04:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novak30

Hello everybody.
For a long time I have been using canon 70D with magic lantern, a very incredible experience to be honest, but for a while I have been thinking to purchase the Canon 5D Mark III, that camera has the necessary stuff I need as a filmmaker, but one thing have me wondering it's the "mirroring" function with magic lantern, people who have the Canon 5d mark III I want to know your experience, if you have any problem or stuff like that and if it's possible, leave a link or post a video.
Thank you.

names_are_hard

Walter Schulz

If I go for subject line "mirroring" refers to Canon menu option "HDMI output + LCD    Mirroring" introduced to 5D3 with firmware 1.2.x.

Mirroring function works with/without ML: Clear HDMI out, no overlays. Menu is visible on cam display only. Switching to Canon menu will external screen to go blank. Accessing ML menu keeps HDMI output visible.

a.sintes

Note anyway HDMI output doesn't work properly on 5D3 when switching to any crop modes - at least using latest Danne's build (no "framed" preview, only the "realtime" which is unsuable in most cases).
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

Jonneh

Quote from: a.sintes on May 28, 2023, 07:24:59 PM
Note anyway HDMI output doesn't work properly on 5D3 when switching to any crop modes - at least using latest Danne's build (no "framed" preview, only the "realtime" which is unsuable in most cases).

With the mirroring function on 1.2.3 you get the cropped realtime preview on the external monitor and the correctly framed preview on the camera LCD at the same time (currently the "ultrafast gray" preview in Danne's latest build). The former is great for focusing (if the subject is in the centre of the frame) and the latter is low res but good enough for framing.

Unfortunately one does lose about "1 stop" of speed in 1.2.3 versus 1.1.3, such that you have to step down from 14 to 12 bit, from 2:07 aspect ratio to 2.2:1 in 3.5K mode, etc. The choice is yours!
5D3 / 100D