Some report about ML in production (mostly in the past)

Started by Walter Schulz, May 05, 2023, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenhil

This bit of feedback leaves me confused. He used ML, but not for shooting raw video? What gives?

Отправлено с моего SM-G960F через Tapatalk

names_are_hard

ML provides many features that aren't raw video.  Focus peaking, audio level monitoring, cropmarks, etc.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: elenhil on May 05, 2023, 10:44:52 AM
This bit of feedback leaves me confused. He used ML, but not for shooting raw video? What gives?

ML is older than RAW/MLV video. It was added as a feature some years ago but has its quirks.
And there seems to be a misconception RAW/MLV recording was/is needed for professional production.

elenhil

Ah. It's just that, coming from a stills background, I kind of think of non-raw as JPEG. And I can't imagine shooting photos in JPEG any longer. If I see another one of those unrecoverable 8-bit blown highlights...

Walter Schulz

Those DOPs have some history fighting with dynamic range and light and limited shutter options. There is a reason lighting makes a big part in production and why 24 kW (yes, that is 24,000 Watt) tungsten lights exist.

Kharak

QuoteNearly everything about Magic Lantern EXCEPT raw video is awesome. The recent hype however is all about ML raw video, and that aspect of the hack is absolutely horrid in actual use. Source: pro cameraperson for 25 years who has also been using ML for a decade+

Sounds like he tried rawvideo when it was released and still thinks he has to command prompt the entire processing of the .raw files
once you go raw you never go back

elenhil

Okay, next question: was there ever ML crop mode without raw? 'Cause I can't imagine anyone shooting pro videos with aliasing either.

Отправлено с моего SM-G960F через Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

Your imagination needs some serious upgrade.

But there is crop mode (electronic zoom) in 600D (out-of-the-box) and 650D/700D/100D/EOS M with a little help by ML.
You zoom in by 3x and frames are blown up to fit into rear display. Astros like(d?) it a lot.

And there was Mosaic VAF. No idea if it was widely used in pro environments. There sure was a market, though.

EDIT: If you have some time to spend to dive into history (😄 some ten years ago) I can try to link older videos by Zacuto testing and discussing DSLR for production.

elenhil

Oh, I knew there was Canon crop on select models. I just wasn't aware it was a ML feature separate from crop raw recording for rest.

Skinny

There was a video somewhere on the forum, with 1:1 crop mode on eos m, using h.264 and it was 1080p, so it works but only on some cameras.

And about filters - as far as I can tell by watching old YouTube videos, at least VAF filters for 5D2 were quite popular...

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 07, 2023, 03:29:28 PM
EDIT: If you have some time to spend to dive into history (😄 some ten years ago) I can try to link older videos
That would be great :)

Walter Schulz

Just open YT and search for
The great camera shootout

If you want to take the scenic tour: Start with 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-hqzw5MEa8
Shootout 2011 series may contain the most condensed info with tests and statements.
2012 series includes iPhone and blind tests. Blind tests are always fun and so are these.

Skinny

Nice videos, I remember seeing 2010 shootout maybe about 10 years ago somewhere on YT... but I also remember extreme low light comparison and other things that I can't find on this Zacuto channel now...
Anyway it is very interesting to see this now after all this time :)