Canon 1300D not booting up

Started by tasspass, April 20, 2023, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tasspass

Hi.

How did my Canon 1300D stopped working?
Let me tell you my story.

I started recording some RAW video and then when I was done, I stopped the recording. After that, all the sudden, my camera got stuck and it's not the first time it did that, when it got stuck, I decided to brute force shut down the camera by just simply open the battery door and taking out the battery. When I turned it back on, no life.
However it does turn on but not fully. The screen doesn't turn on, it won't boot to the OS even without the sd card... The only thing that's on is that manual focusing mechanism thing when you turn the focus ring (used my 50mm 1.8 STM lens). Not only that but the moment when I switched it OFF, it's strangely still on. No red light whatsoever, I might afraid that I bricked the CPU or the RAM inside that camera. I tried connecting my camera to my computer using mini usb to usb, but that didn't seem to work. I even tried following tutorials on how to fix Canon camera not turning on by just leaving the camera with no battery, lens and sd card, that didn't work.
It was my only first DSLR camera that I had for 5 years and (probably) because of me, I bricked it...  :'(
It would be a pleasure to have the camera repaired
Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Andrei

names_are_hard

Any chance you're using a micro-SD adapter and have left the adapter in the cam, with no card in it?  If so, remove the adapter and try booting the cam.

Also try removing the lens and reboot the cam.

Reboot for these tests should always be: turn cam off, remove battery, replace battery, turn cam on.

kitor

What firmware version you had, what ML build you used?

If you still have your card contents as it was when it broke, please zip autoexec.bin, ML directory and any files with assert or log in name. Upload them somewhere and send me the link in PM.

I'd like to reproduce this issue if possible.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

tasspass

Quote from: kitor on April 20, 2023, 06:05:35 PM
What firmware version you had, what ML build you used?

If you still have your card contents as it was when it broke, please zip autoexec.bin, ML directory and any files with assert or log in name. Upload them somewhere and send me the link in PM.

I'd like to reproduce this issue if possible.

Firmware Version 1.1.0
and the ML build magiclantern-Nightly.2022Feb07.1300D110

Unfortunately, after it broke, I formated the sd card thinking that it would work again and now I don't have the ML directory and other log files I had...

Walter Schulz

Is your PC running on Windows, macOS or Linux?

USB won't work on a bricked, semi-bricked or just stalled cam. Enabling USB happens quite late in startup process.

kitor

Do you remember any specific settings that you used / changed?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

tasspass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 20, 2023, 07:45:33 PM
Is your PC running on Windows, macOS or Linux?

USB won't work on a bricked, semi-bricked or just stalled cam. Enabling USB happens quite late in startup process.

My PC is running Windows, I just said that I tried connecting my camera to my PC but it won't show up, no matter how long it stays on.

tasspass

Quote from: kitor on April 20, 2023, 11:07:34 PM
Do you remember any specific settings that you used / changed?

I don't remember the settings..

Walter Schulz

Quote from: tasspass on April 21, 2023, 01:55:14 PM
My PC is running Windows, I just said that I tried connecting my camera to my PC but it won't show up, no matter how long it stays on.

What I meant: If cam startup is interrupted/stalled USB initialization will not happen at all. You can wait as long as eternity.
And power switch is just a pin connected to an ultra-low-power processor. Some cam parts are powered even if stalled. This is the case for lens mount and that is why you can change focus for STM lenses. And that's why Viltrox boosters have to be removed if cam is shut down because they drain battery.

To your problem:
Remove battery and card.
Insert card into PC's cardreader.
Download EOScard utility (https://pel.hu/eoscard) and run it "as admin".
Make sure your card is selected!
Mark boxes "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK".
Press Save button.
An error message will appear. Ignore it.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Insert card and battery into cam.
Close compartment door.
Try to startup camera.

If it doesn't work:
Remove battery and card.
Rename Autoexec.bin to Autoexec._bin
Copy Portable Display Test autoexec.bin to card. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0
Insert card and battery into cam
Close compartment door. For this test power switch position doesn't matter. Just tell what the cam is doing (or not) and remove battery.

Come back to us and tell us the results.

tasspass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 21, 2023, 02:27:17 PM
What I meant: If cam startup is interrupted/stalled USB initialization will not happen at all. You can wait as long as eternity.
And power switch is just a pin connected to an ultra-low-power processor. Some cam parts are powered even if stalled. This is the case for lens mount and that is why you can change focus for STM lenses. And that's why Viltrox boosters have to be removed if cam is shut down because they drain battery.

To your problem:
Remove battery and card.
Download EOScard utility (https://pel.hu/eoscard) and run it "as admin".
Make sure your card is selected!
Mark boxes "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK".
Press Save button.
An error message will appear. Ignore it.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Insert card and battery into cam.
Close compartment door.
Try to startup camera.

If it doesn't work:
Remove battery and card.
Rename Autoexec.bin to Autoexec._bin
Copy Portable Display Test autoexec.bin to card. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0
Insert card and battery into cam
Close compartment door. For this test power switch position doesn't matter. Just tell what the cam is doing (or not) and remove battery.

Come back to us and tell us the results.

Yeah just followed the steps below and it still acts the same.
No red light, nothing sshows up on the screen, only lens mount works, and it seems like that the camera is so bricked it won't even read the card.

Walter Schulz

Just to make sure:
Insert card into cardreader. Startup EOScard. Don't change any setting.
Are both checkboxes marked?

And some info about your card, please:
Storage size, file system: ExFAT or FAT32?

And we should know your country, please.

tasspass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 21, 2023, 03:14:03 PM
Just to make sure:
Insert card into cardreader. Startup EOScard. Don't change any setting.
Are both checkboxes marked?

And some info about your card, please:
Storage size, file system: ExFAT or FAT32?

And we should know your country, please.

So I did press save on EOScard with both checkboxes marked, it does say write succesful.

64GB, ExFAT

I'm from Romania

Walter Schulz

That is not what I asked.
Please start EOScard and check if both checkboxes are marked.

And there is a chance ExFAT won't work properly for these tests.

Do you have an SDcard with less capacity?

tasspass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 21, 2023, 03:36:48 PM
That is not what I asked.
Please start EOScard and check if both checkboxes are marked.

And there is a chance ExFAT won't work properly for these tests.

Do you have an SDcard with less capacity?

Yes, I checked that the checkboxes are marked and I do have an SDcard with less capacity (16GB)

kitor

Okey, with no instructions on how it was configured it is hard to reproduce anything.
Do you have at least rom backup stored somewhere?

Anyway, since you are from Romania, if you are fine with shipping it to Poland I can take a look at it (for free, just cover the shipping). If so, hit me on PM. I can't promise anything though.

On the other hand I'd be surprised if this is other issue than a firmware itself. I'm yet to see a damaged CPU or RAM in Canon camera.
It was always firmware, one of sensors (check card door switch btw, you can push it with a screwdriver) or once a fuse. Other than those it was always either a wear (shutter stuck, etc) or physical damage.
Too many Canon cameras.

Walter Schulz

Would like to see if 16 GB card fails as well.