First alpha version for 5D Mark III is ready!

Started by a1ex, September 12, 2012, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

We are very happy to announce the first public test version for the 5D mark III. Since a complete port may take some time and we realize that a lot of people are waiting for it, we have decided to release early a minimal version that should be useful and - we hope - with very little risk.

This first alpha version is based on v2.3 core and only has a small feature set, like zebras and focus peaking (see screenshot). It will not attempt to change any Canon settings or do any kind of permanent firmware modification. This also means the autoboot feature does not work yet - you will have to load Magic Lantern every time by running Firmware Update from Canon menu.

Since the 5D mark III has two card slots, we recommend running Magic Lantern from a small SD card that stays in the camera. All recording can take place on CF cards. The CF cards don't have to be bootable or prepared in any way, and you can freely swap and format them without problems.

What's next?Our goal is to have a rock solid and feature-complete port of Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III in the upcoming version 2.4. We are starting today with a minimal feature set, and once you, the testers, convince us that it's very stable, we can gradually add more features. The 5D mark III version will remain in alpha status until all important features can be fully ported.

Download ML for 5D3

Click here to read this article!

JasonATL

Thanks, A1ex! I will try it out later tonight. Between this and the 600D bitrate developments, this is an exciting time for ML! Your work is much appreciated!

Peter Linov

Отличная новость , Спасибо...sorry...Great news! Thank you!
But I can not download ...  sad. :'(

nanomad

You need to be a donor to access the download...and donations usually take up to 24h to process

So, everyone, keep that in mind  ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

bp

Long time listener, first time caller (err... donor).

One word for this.  Awesomesauce

Can't wait to get access to take her for a spin

Director

Good Evening,

I have 5D make III

I am still not make donwload for update from ML for 5D Make III

but, I have question -  How abuot Update for videos mode What's new???

I hope 4K avilable from update.

Thanks

ilguercio

Quote from: Director on September 13, 2012, 06:08:34 PM
Good Evening,

I have 5D make III

I am still not make donwload for update from ML for 5D Make III

but, I have question -  How abuot Update for videos mode What's new???

I hope 4K avilable from update.

Thanks
The first post contains every info you need.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Peter Linov

I put this firmware, enjoy!
  tomorrow to work a lot, shoot a video for a wedding.
  I will try that!!
  Thank you!

inc

I donated for magic lanter, right after that i got message to download ver 2.3 software, is it the right one that i can run in my mk3? Reading install.pdf 5dmk3 is not listed?

a1ex

Nope, go to the Mark III link (in this page, first post).

vitafab

Hi a1ex
i'm going to try it now and test it tomorrow on a wedding.
Is it possible to run ML on a sd and still capture video in that card?

a1ex

Yes, it will work.

I'm going to try a small field test in the weekend too, but on the photo side.

vitafab

I guess you'll test same timelapse  ;)
I really miss the intervallometer on the mark iii, hope to get it soon..

Cheers and thanks for everything

vitafab

Ok got it working, I'm running on a single SD and everytime that i switch off the camera i have to load back the firmware again.
Is it the same with the two cards method?

sicetime

zykokite

You guys rock! Whoohooo!
This completes my combo 5Dmk3 / Zeiss 35/1.4 :D

Focus highlight is about 50% of what I need from ML: I do a lot of manual focussing => one happy supporter.

If you need any field-support for testing the mk3 port, just tell me. I would gladly help!

aaphotog

Is there anyway to donate other than Paypal? I really want to check this out (focus peek, and crops are needed) but cant use paypal

marcotrabacchi

Why the time displayed in liveview is two hours less than camera time system?
Thanks

nanomad

Uhm, maybe the liveview display is using UTC while the camera is actually adjusting for your timezone
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nigelbb

I just downloaded the Alpha version for the 5D3. Now it's either a problem on my part or a problem with the documentation for while I managed to figure out that I needed to push the trash can button to access lots of pretty menus & I was able to navigate these menus to select zebras & peaking unfortunately I don't see anything has changed when I am using the camera. I am assuming that there is some other combination of buttons that needs to be pushed to actually activate zebras & peaking so please could someone tell me what they are. A simple step by step press this press that guide would be a good idea rather than assuming that everyone just knows how to use it or gets told by someone who is experienced.

nanomad

The 2.3 manual should apply on the 5D III too, you'll just have a lot less options to choose from

a1ex

bmpowers

chphotovideo

Quote from: nigelbb on September 21, 2012, 12:59:53 PM
I just downloaded the Alpha version for the 5D3. Now it's either a problem on my part or a problem with the documentation for while I managed to figure out that I needed to push the trash can button to access lots of pretty menus & I was able to navigate these menus to select zebras & peaking unfortunately I don't see anything has changed when I am using the camera. I am assuming that there is some other combination of buttons that needs to be pushed to actually activate zebras & peaking so please could someone tell me what they are. A simple step by step press this press that guide would be a good idea rather than assuming that everyone just knows how to use it or gets told by someone who is experienced.

Hit the 'info' button to change whats on screen. yeah, I went around/around to figure out why nothing was changing too lol

Slikkit

Seeming to work perfectly for me. Is there an estimate on when the next release will happen?
So stoked about the genius who cracked the 7D also. Thanks again.