Easter(pascua) folklore procession 5dm3 samyang 14/2.8 raw 14 bit

Started by Nick_Andr, April 12, 2023, 10:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

Nice! That was some cool shots. You don't need to shoot in 14bit though. 10bit gives the exact same dynamic range and quality with smaller files
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Nick_Andr

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 15, 2023, 12:49:52 AM
Nice! That was some cool shots. You don't need to shoot in 14bit though. 10bit gives the exact same dynamic range and quality with smaller files

Thanks.

vastunghia

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 15, 2023, 12:49:52 AM
You don't need to shoot in 14bit though. 10bit gives the exact same dynamic range and quality with smaller files

You mean in this specific scenario? Or always? :o
5D3 for video
70D for photo

yourboylloyd

Quote from: vastunghia on April 17, 2023, 12:09:22 PM
You mean in this specific scenario? Or always? :o

Always. You get the exact same dynamic range. 10bit vs 12bit vs 14bit is all the same range on these sensors.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

vastunghia

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 18, 2023, 09:09:21 AM
Always. You get the exact same dynamic range. 10bit vs 12bit vs 14bit is all the same range on these sensors.

You sound pretty confident on this, so I'm assuming that you have performed thorough testing already. However, I'm surprised. Based upon my personal experience (and some tests I did) I agree that in most occasions 12 and 14 bit look very similar, but still 10bit is definitely different -- and in some cases even 12 bit is not enough.

Latest test I've stumbled upon in this forum:

Quote from: iaburn on April 16, 2023, 10:45:19 AM
Visual comparison of shadow recovery with the new 11bits option on the EOS M:

Could you elaborate further on your position?

Thanks
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Skinny

Sometimes you have no time to do 100% correct ETTR especially if there are some very bright light sources in the frame, and sometimes there are just some deep shadows which will benefit from extreme shadow recovery.. So in real world scenarios at least 12 bits won't hurt. That's just my opinion :)

By the way as you can see even in these examples if you push the shadows you will get mostly a red noise.
You can desaturate only dark reds and only in deep shadows, which will help. And then use your favorite noise reduction with less aggressive settings :)

vastunghia

Quote from: Skinny on April 18, 2023, 11:07:49 AM
So in real world scenarios at least 12 bits won't hurt. That's just my opinion :)

Yeah. Big advantage of going RAW is having a larger margin for error (think of white balance and exposure, of course) which can be corrected later. Restricting to 10 bit looks like a very low benefits-vs-costs ratio to me. One could go for 8-bit MPEG at that point, and save himself all of the pain which comes with RAW workflow.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Nick_Andr

Ml on my 5d m3 signals the same bitrate at lossless raw 10-11 bit 12 bit and 14 bit at 1920*1280
~57 Mbps (in ML hints)

elenhil

Presumably, because it's lossless *compression*.

Отправлено с моего SM-G960F через Tapatalk

ilia3101

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 18, 2023, 09:09:21 AM

Nah 10 bit is definitely a lot worse. But I agree that 12 bit is indistinguishable from 14.

Quote from: vastunghia on April 18, 2023, 10:17:52 AM
Latest test I've stumbled upon in this forum:

Interesting find. Never saw that much difference between 12 and 14 bit when I've tested it (both on 5D2 and 5D3). Perhaps it depends on recording mode/camera. May also be the black level, raising it in MLV App might reveal identical results between 12/14.