Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

@DeafEyeJedi

Yay! time for fun :D

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 16, 2023, 07:20:48 AM
@BilalFakhouri — let me know how I can contribute by utilizing M2 again. Happy to lend a hand and troubleshoot.

Thanks, shipping isn't an option to me, it's complex in my country. Beside there is a generous donor already donated with his EOS M2 some months ago,
the cam is still in Germany, I am waiting for a chance to get it to my country, Syria BTW!

Will try to port EOS M2 remotely, Walter might help with running the tests.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: gabriielangel on April 16, 2023, 03:20:47 AM
Pressing the Right button (+/-  button) once will allow you to use the wheel to set the aperture. Right button again to go back to shutter speed (It will go back to shutter speed selection by itself after a while)

Forgot to mention, I think we are able to add Shutter to customize bottons too.

iaburn

Visual comparison of shadow recovery with the new 11bits option on the EOS M:

Danne

Yes, pressing menu button exits liveview here. Inserted that. But you can already exit Mlv play by touching screen, should be enough.

Reminder that left/right buttons not existing on eos m. Have to be reassigned somehow idk.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 07:37:20 AM
Af is broken. Works randomly. Turning off hacks doesn´t help. Tested mainly with 1x3 modes. 22mm f2 lens.

It should always work in x10 mode while idle (that's how it suppsed to work in this build), what are you doing?

mv1080p mode only aspect ratio 3:2? Enabling like 16:9 from RAW video works..

Apsect ratio setting in Crop mood submenu is used mainly to reduce or increase RAW resolution directly from RAW resolution register to allow to get for example higher frame rates and flexibility in presets choices like in 1x3 presets.

On the other hand, Aspect ratio setting from RAW video submenu main task is to crop RAW frame before recording it to SD card.
Having two Apsect ratio is probably a little confusing for new users. I don't want to mix the two options, this may create some mess.

I think once the user play with the settings enough and spend some time with it you will get used to it. I will check if there are some ways to make it more user friendly . .

.. but no cropmarks?

Already mentioned this, cropmarks will be implemetned in future for all crop mood presets, feel free to contribute!

I miss your focus regs while recording.

Preview zoom while recording?

I will check the possibility of doing it again to match the new findings (will document them soon).
The lesson I learned from new preview work is preview configuration must not change during recording, although preview zoom while recording works in previous builds, but only in some cases (it casues corrupted frames with HDMI for example).

HDR video now working. No idea how you fixed that. Never worked without workaround before.

I didn't touch HDR video, did it work in first place with official crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd branch?

Very clean code. Seems you based crop_rec on a1ex later code and then went from there? Pretty impressive stuff.

Thanks, yes some parts are taken from crop_rec with arbitrary resolutions version (mainly PathDriveMode structure). I added a lot of things on my own though, also tried to improve a1ex code.

Customized buttons. L/R makes no sense for eos m. There are no phyiscal buttons here even if seemingly so.

Anyway, the intention is to make customize buttons a general feature accross all models, we can disable L/R for EOS M. Did you make real test?

Assigning aperture to a single button (INFO) or similar makes little sense as it´s only moving towards smaller aperture.

It will change the Aperture/ISO in loop, once you reach max value, it will start from min value again. Isn't it the way you implemented it or maybe I am missing something?
It's still useful anyway.

Nice with iso buttons up/down again.

Thanks!

Framing could be turned off when in realtime mode. No sense to enable it on halfshutter maybe for except presets with cropped realtime preview.

Yes, will add an option to unlink half-shutter and Framing preview.
For me, I always use check Framing preview before hitting recording button on 700D, to make sure real-time preview is showing what I am recording (in case if I reduced RAW resolution from RAW video submenu by mistake).

A lot of stuff could be rearranged into the Movie tab..

If it only makes sense why not. I don't want to change how ML GUI look in general, IMO it should be similar to all other branches and models.
If a model doesn't support X feature, it just should be missing in e.g. Movie tab, and keep the general shape.

A better approach you can follow IMO is to create a new tab, called MyTab or something like that, and create an option to allow what menus which you want go to this tab.

I would probably automate install and exclude most of the modules..

Not a fan of this step for many good reasons. But yes, you can do that.

.. to avoid confusion..

We just need to write a guide to users tell how to use X build for your needs.
I think doing "automate install and exclude most of the modules" will create a confusion in another way.

I probably would put in tap display too  :P.

Could you give some context, I don't know what you mean here :P

Overall very stable build. Very good work.

Thanks again!

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: iaburn on April 16, 2023, 09:25:23 AM
I see that (on EOS M) "Small hacks" includes now the "All" option, in addition to "More". Was that intentional?

Ops, that was an unintended mistake (when I added Kill Global Draw option). Will fix it in next release.
The option "All" won't have an effect on EOS M.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 10:50:53 AM
Yes, pressing menu button exits liveview here. Inserted that. But you can already exit Mlv play by touching screen, should be enough.

Okay, thanks for the info. I might add MENU button here too, it make sense.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 10:50:53 AM
Reminder that left/right buttons not existing on eos m. Have to be reassigned somehow idk.

Do you know what left/right arrows act as behalf on which buttons?
I mean, if they are not acting as BGMT_PRESS_RIGHT and BGMT_PRESS_LEFT, how do they react?

Also, did you test Left/Right arrows when assigning it to e.g. ISO on EOS M, do they do anything?

Danne

Left is * (halshutter), right toggles shutter or aperture.
Digital arrows works as left right.

benoit

Hi,
I 'm not writing often in this forum, but i read it often, today is a special day !
First, thanks a lot, Bilal ! and all others people like ae1x, danne, redeercity etc...
What a piece of software !  8)
I hoped in 2020 redeercity succeeded in a such release with the 5DII ...  :'(
So I donated and you did it for the M !
This is awesome !
You asked for suggestion so here is mine : 
I would like an option in lens info prefs menu :
- take in account a speedbooster coefficient like 0.64, 0.71, 1 (default) or an any other coef
- take in account crop mood factor
- write this new equivalent in metadata
Keep up the good work ! and thanks again !
David

Grognard

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 09:36:31 AM

Done :)

Just to make sure, could you record a video shows how this option work? Is it the same as "Magic Zoom V2" in my old builds?

Yes it is. I was talking about Magic zoom V2 in your old build.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 09:36:31 AM
How can I enable RAW Zebras? I don't use this option, but I can check it.

Actually it works, it shows raw zebras but it's not localited in the good area it's shift on left. but we can use other zebras and it works very well even it clips before raw.

This build is fantastic !

amitkattal

Quote from: Grognard on April 16, 2023, 11:55:25 AM

Actually it works, it shows raw zebras but it's not localited in the good area it's shift on left. but we can use other zebras and it works very well even it clips before raw.

I thinkraw zebras are better because it shows real data. So even if other zebras show clipping, in reality, we can still expose little more because raw zebras shows its not clipping. other zebras dont use raw data. But yeah its shifted on left.It works perfect in 1080p raw mode. Idk how easy it is to fix that . I think it doesnt use the crop preview to show it. Maybe Bilal can look into it if its easy to fix but if not, its still fine.

Lemo777

Hi. Having a EOS M. Nothing happens when i press the record button. Also no error code, just nothing happens. Any idea?

gabriielangel

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 09:58:18 AM
What's the case with Danne build? same issue?
This is an EOS M issue only, other supported models don't have it. Is it the same as shutter bug known issue?
With Danne's build, as long as you shut down the camera before going to the photo modes, everything works fine.
This is not the same as the shutter bug issue. In my case the shutter bug issue happens only with the ef-m 15-45mm.
When this happens, you just unscrew the lens to break the connection, re-screw it and the shutter works again.

With your build doing this won't fix it, you really need to start with Set button pushed.

Does Photo mode work if modules are not loaded? Why if they are loaded but turned off?
With no modules loaded: You can focus and take pictures, but something is broken. You take the picture, and when the picture appears briefly, it is surrounded by a noisy frame before going back to preview.

I don't know how to turn off modules. I can make the module dim and not load at the next restart but don't know how to turn it off

I might not able to help with solving this issue, mainly because I don't have EOS M. If this issue is also presented in official ML builds, that mean it's not exclusive here (I didn't break photo mode on EOS M, it was already broken).
Danne's build never exhibited this issue for as long as I can remember (About 2 years), so I guess it should be fixable.

You could exit by pressing half-shutter button right? or by using arrows and press on "Exit" on MLV play GUI?
On 700D when MLV playback is running, MENU button doesn't do anything too.
Yes this works, my bad!

What did you excpet it to do? was pressing MENU button in Danne build make the camera exit from playback to LiveView?
With Danne's build, pressing Menu would exit. As clicking Exit on the UI or half-shutter works (and as Danne said, you can just touch the screen), I wouldn't change the behaviour. The less unnecessary things or redundancies, the less likely problems are to occur :)

Quote from: Danne on Today at 07:37:20 AM

I would probably automate install and exclude most of the modules..

Not a fan of this step for many good reasons. But yes, you can do that.

I think that at least pre-enabling all the necessary modules (those you enable in the video) would be better. Users who know what they are doing will be able to go in there and disable/enable what they need.
Otherwise, we will have to watch your video each time we install your build. (Proof being that most of the problems reported on facebook are because one or some of the modules weren't enabled)
Danne's approach of having a usable cam as soon as you turn it on is a good one. Most users are more "Artists" than "Engineers" :)

Regarding framing mode when using half-shutter, We can already use the * button (Left Button) to see framing.
So it would be more useful to have the cam go to x10 mode automatically and then focus, when using half-shutter.
Would help a lot when using a gimbal, and the cam misses focus very often without x10 mode anyways.
(Right now, when custom setting half-shutter to x10 , the Framing preview seems to be taking precedence, so we cannot see the x10 preview)

Danne

Let's give the guy a break😂. I spent so much time on my version. Porting should be done not in a rush. And why the hurry 😎.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 05:15:28 PM
Let's give the guy a break😂. I spent so much time on my version. Porting should be done not in a rush. And why the hurry 😎.

Agreed. Less is more. Baby steps will eventually get us there. :D
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 05:15:28 PM

Ahaha! This is so true. But I think everyone is more than happy with what has been done so far, there's no doubt about it.
When someone looks at what Bilal and yourself have done in the past two years alone, there's a reason for everyone to be overly enthusiastic :)

Larouso

x10 zoom on half shutter nailed it now for me.
Thanks so much for that, also Danne for the template code in the first place!

masc

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 12:49:10 AM
    Choices for each button:

• Half-Shutter:  OFF, Zoom x10
    [li]...
    [/li][/list]
    -Fixed choppy preview while idle in 1080p 3x3 and HFR modes
    Thanks for your quick update!
    Two questions:
    ->Doing the Zoom on SET button works fine, while on Half-Shutter it just changes from FRTP to Framing. Is there another setting to avoid that, or am I doing something wrong?

->"choppy preview" means the black screen (HFR) and paused liveview (1080p)? 2nd works, 1st not (for me, in 2.35:1 and 2.39:1). Also here: am I doing something wrong?

And another problem: If I toggle between 2.8K and "Full-Res LV", I get crashes. After restart, Full-Res LV doesn't let me record (stops very quickly with invalid MLV).
    ML ASSERT:
    fullsize_buffers[1] == UNCACHEABLE(raw_info.buffer)
    at mlv_lite.c:1514 (free_buffers), task shoot_task
    lv:1 mode:3

shoot_task stack: 1f3cc8 [1f3e28-1f1e28]
    0x000E8F28 @ c9018:1f3dc0
    0xUNKNOWN  @ e8f7c:1f3da8
    0x00B8591C @ b89888:1f3d08
    0x0009EC30 @ b85980:1f3cf8
    0x0009E558 @ 9ec8c:1f3cc8

Magic Lantern version : crop_mood.2023Apr16.EOSM202
    Mercurial changeset   : NO HG
    Built on 2023-04-15 22:02:10 UTC by bilal@DESKTOP-27BNL6E.
    Free Memory  : 213K + 3138K
    5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks @benoit! Hopfully I made your EOS M happy :D
    Give me a 5D2 so I can give you a real-time preview, working on 5D2 is simpler than 5D3 :P

Quote from: benoit on April 16, 2023, 11:51:26 AM
    I would like an option in lens info prefs menu :
    - take in account a speedbooster coefficient like 0.64, 0.71, 1 (default) or an any other coef
    - take in account crop mood factor
    - write this new equivalent in metadata

I will check these, but I don't promise anything . .
    Thanks for the suggestions!

theBilalFakhouri

Will check the posibilty of doing it in future, for now I am mostly aiming for more build stability and easy of use, like solving 3x3 bugs and implement mlv_lite cropmarks.

Okay, I have tried RAW zebras, bug reproduced, will look into it in future, currently it's not a high priority.

The users who use it are fantastic too :D

Quote from: amitkattal on April 16, 2023, 12:14:18 PM
    I thinkraw zebras are better because it shows real data.

Yes, it's more accurte. It's based on RAW video steam rather than LiveView YUV stream.
    I personally use RAW histogram as main tool for expoure, it helps a lot. I don't use Zebras.

But yeah its shifted on left.It works perfect in 1080p raw mode.

It's better in 1080p but still not perfect, it's also shifted there.

Idk how easy it is to fix that . I think it doesnt use the crop preview to show it. Maybe Bilal can look into it if its easy to fix but if not, its still fine.

Probably easy, didn't try. Will check in future.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Lemo777 on April 16, 2023, 03:11:29 PM
    Hi. Having a EOS M. Nothing happens when i press the record button. Also no error code, just nothing happens. Any idea?

Hi, record a video shows what are you doing and shows your settings so we check what's happening then help you!

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: gabriielangel on April 16, 2023, 04:39:23 PM
    With your build doing this won't fix it, you really need to start with Set button pushed.

Turn off crop mood and raw video from Movie tab, can you take pictures?

but something is broken. You take the picture, and when the picture appears briefly, it is surrounded by a noisy frame before going back to preview.

Some of overlays from "Overlay" tab take an effect and it's being applied on image review, that's not a bug. Turn off all overlays, re-test then report back.

Otherwise, we will have to watch your video each time we install your build. (Proof being that most of the problems reported on facebook are because one or some of the modules weren't enabled)
    Danne's approach of having a usable cam as soon as you turn it on is a good one. Most users are more "Artists" than "Engineers" :)

Incorrect arguments, once you learn how to load/unload modules you don't need to watch my video each time. Beside users always watch tutorials like ZEEK's ones so they can learn how things work.
    Yes, there are reports like these because loading modules is something they didn't use to do. Expected.

Same as when a new EOS M user with Danne build reports that presets don't work and weird stuff is happenig on screen, then it turns out they need to turn off autofocus.
    Loading modules don't require any special skills and it just take few seconds once someone learns how to do it. If "Artists" know how to use a ML build, learning how to load modules would be an easy process too.

I am not against the idea itself "pre-loaded modules", but the method which was used in Danne build was bad IMO, by hardcoding loading modules (I mean you can't unload them anymore).
    This way Debugging becomes more difficult from both user and dev ends. Also in the long term, once user switch to other model he will become confused if modules are not pre-loaded.

Alternative method would be to put module load flag in build zip file in SETTINGS folder, e.g. put "mlv_lite.en" inside SETTINGS folder.
    This way the module will be loaded, and when it's needed to unload the module, you can do that from ML menu.

It's not tested method, but should work. In general I don't like the idea though. But it's open source code, anyone can do whatever he wants anyway :)

theBilalFakhouri

(Right now, when custom setting half-shutter to x10 , the Framing preview seems to be taking precedence, so we cannot see the x10 preview)

Quote from: masc on April 16, 2023, 07:49:27 PM
    Two questions:
    ->Doing the Zoom on SET button works fine, while on Half-Shutter it just changes from FRTP to Framing. Is there another setting to avoid that, or am I doing something wrong?

When Half-Shutter is set to x10 zoom and when autofocus is enabled, you will not be able to use Half-Shutter to get into x10 mode,
    autofocus will be triggerd in this case and probably ML or Canon function will block x10 zoom, I tried it.

Half-Shutter x10 will only work with manual focus. or maybe I am missing something, did it work in Danne build?

names_are_hard

I think that at least pre-enabling all the necessary modules (those you enable in the video) would be better. Users who know what they are doing will be able to go in there and disable/enable what they need.

Pre-enabling modules is awkward.  Should you enable them for all users?  Bad if not everyone wants them, or there are side effects that break other use cases, etc.  Should you have multiple builds, some enabled, some not?  Bad because it's confusing about which you should use, and the build info screen would show the same info, extra confusing.  What should you do if the cam crashes?  Currently, this disables all modules on next load, a sensible feature for safety.

Perhaps better: a menu for grouping together and selecting settings?  So you'd have a list of choices, something like "Default / Astrophotography / High-res Raw Video / Secret Special Mode".  You'd select High-res Raw Video, and it would check the right modules exist, enable them if so, set options for overclocking your card, and auto-reboot (with a prompt saying it was going to do that).  A friendly error can be displayed if the pre-requisites aren't met.

That way, anyone can easily configure a complex group of settings, nobody is forced to use it, and we can have one build per cam.  And, we have a more general place to do complex one-button config, which feels like it would be useful for several tasks.  Going back to default settings if problems are encountered is also more intuitive: "cam went weird when I selected High-res Raw Video mode, I'll try Default from the same mode select menu".