MLVFS failure under heavy load - possibly solved

Started by 70MM13, March 27, 2023, 01:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

for my latest 5d3 video i decided to go for the highest possible continuous recording resolution (over 3500 pixels across) for maximum detail.

i was surprised and dismayed to find that at this resolution mlvfs makes errors every time i render in resolve.  i've done over a hundred long form videos using mlvfs and resolve at 1920 superscaled to 4k and it has never dropped a frame ever until now.

there were problems in the past, but they disappeared as soon as i switched from windows 7 to 10.

it most likely is because of timing difficulties with card spanning.  the CF card is much faster than the SD, even though it is supposed to be fast.  (sandisk 170)

maybe it would be improved with using 2 card readers on separate buses.

but it should be more robust than this.  it seems to be always on the edge of failure...

the glitch happens in the opening shot when i begin panning right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLPWZG8-ww

on a happier note, check out how absolutely beautiful the video looks at 4k!

it's a shame it suffers from the frame corruption because otherwise this is dreamlike in the convenience of pulling the cards from the camera, throwing them into the card reader and going straight to grading and editing and rendering in resolve...

i came in from the forest, and had a completed rendered copy ready to upload in under an hour, including recording the dialogue.

EDIT: upgrading to the last 1.x version of dokan seems to have solved the issue... v 1.5.1.1000

i re-rendered the video twice and both times it was flawless.

i'll do more videos at this resolution and hopefully it keeps working perfectly.

mlrocks

"upgrading to the last 1.x version of dokan seems to have solved the issue... v 1.5.1.1000"

what is this dokan for?