5d3 3x3 vs 1x1 modes, a new question...

Started by 70MM13, March 22, 2023, 10:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

EDIT:
An additional note regarding the 5d3:  since it is now capable of such high speed data writing, 1920 probably wouldn't require data compression, freeing up CPU resources for resampling.

---------

I intended to shoot this video at 3616x1536, but there was a problem, even with card spanning and sd 240mhz overclock...

because of the bare branches on all the trees in the forest, the scene is just too complicated for that resolution, even when underexposed!

i had already shot the "beauty shot" for the middle of the video of the baby chestnut in the morning sunlight at that resolution, but when i got immediate sudden stops repeatedly in the forest i decided to shoot this talk at 1920 for reliability, using 3x3 mode since i was shooting at f/2.8 so there would be no problem with aliasing and moire on all the branches of the trees.

i wanted maximum detail on the closing shot of the cloudy sunset through the trees, so i shot that using 1x1 mode.

i was really surprised when i was editing the video to find that there was so much aliasing on the 1x1 shot!

to see the 1x1 footage, skip to 8:50 and pause it before the messages pop up for other videos.  the problem is very clear in the upper left corner of the screen.

i used 4x supersampling in resolve with gaussian sampling to minimize the problem, but it is still bad.

seeing this made me wonder if it is possible to do better resampling (even simple bilinear) of the full sensor down to 1920 instead of the horrible binning.  i know that it is beyond the capabilities of the cpu in most of these cameras, but has anyone done any experiments with this at all?  maybe certain dual cpu cameras could do it?  it makes me wonder if this could be done well in the very recent crop sensor models that have a newer (faster?) cpu.

it's just a thought...

on another note, if anyone is interested i could share a full sensor resolution still of the extremely challenging forest shot to use for a "stress test" of card overclocking.  if you print it out at full resolution, it could be useful as a "standard" torture test.  there was no wind at all in the forest and the camera was on a locked tripod, so a still should be just as difficult, especially with perfect exposure.

view the video at 4k, of course.
https://youtu.be/A8elVCzKfr4

ML700D

5d3 has good sensor I think..
I like 1x1 mode because I don't need to change the focal length for my 10-18mm that gives f/4.5 better than using f/5.6 at 18mm, less blur but it's ok for me lol.
in 5:22 I don't see the problem, your image looks fine I guess?

EOS 700D

70MM13

thanks for pointing out my error.

that was the wrong timestamp!  that's the 3616 shot, so it should look amazing :)

the correct time for the ugly shot is 8:50...  i'll change the original post.