ML on EOS M will not record in any modes (Danne's build)

Started by Nikolaj, March 17, 2023, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolaj

Hi.
I've tried finding help on ML raw eos M-group on facebook with no luck. Im running Danne's latest build (March 2nd).

At first this was my problem:
Problem is, i cant record in any modes/resolutions more than a few seconds, and then the camera stops recording and says "movie recording stopped automatically. Flushing buffer... [ x ] frames left". This was when data rate maxed out at 21 mb/s.

Update:
Now i somehow succeeded in getting the data rate to 41 mb/s in all overclocking settings - even when overclocking is turned of. Is diffucult to say if there is a logic behind when i get rates of 42 compared to 21. Settings are the same, but the order in which i change the settings are different.

But i can consistently get rates of 42 when i use the built-in presets. But i have never managed to get above 42 mb/s.

For the record: I've set global draw to "off" when i benchmark, and still get the same results.
I have also benchmarked with both raw set to "off" and "on" and got the same results.

I've tried different sd cards (all extreme pro 95 mb/s) with the same result - and i've run benchmarks several times on the sd card with different settings + I've run benchmarks on the sd card through a crappy sd reader on my mac, and that says 79 MB/s write.

I've reinstalled both the 2.0.2 firmware and Danne's build several times.
I've been thinking: Could this be the battery that provide a too low voltage for the camera? Its an original canon battery, but i dont know how old it is.
Fyi: I've just bought the camera and recieved it 2 days ago. And i havent got any other power options for it yet.

What do i do?

Walter Schulz

Physical transfer speed limit for EOS M without overclocking:
50 MByte/s in theory, 41 MByte/s write in ML benchmark.

With 240 MHz overclocking and using a compatible card you should be able to get
92-96 MByte/s for write in ML benchmark and up to 80 MByte/s for recording. (There are some faster cards, though).

A list of compatible cards (as known today): https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.0

If your card falls back to 21 MByte/s in benchmark runs while overclocking is active: Card is not compatible with selected oc frequency.
Select a lower frequency and *restart* camera. Changes to oc frequency require restart!

theBilalFakhouri

Hi!

Quote from: Nikolaj on March 17, 2023, 01:04:17 PM
I've tried different sd cards (all extreme pro 95 mb/s) with the same result - and i've run benchmarks several times on the sd card with different settings + I've run benchmarks on the sd card through a crappy sd reader on my mac, and that says 79 MB/s write.

Set AccessMode to "SDR50" in SD Overclock submenu, check this post:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 12, 2021, 10:32:15 PM

Notes:
-SDR104 is selected by default which should work on all fast SD cards (UHS-I W90). Only try SDR50 when SDR104 fails. Like with Sandisk Extreme PRO 95 MB/s case.

Try 192 MHz and 240 MHz presets, are they stable now?
You will need to make a camera restart after these changes.

iaburn

When I first got the camera it was doing weird things and I realised that some settings on Canon's menu were the root of the problems. Just to make sure it's not your case, try to adjust settings like this:
- Image quality: RAW
- AF method: FlexiZoneAF
- Focus mode: MF
- Movie rec. size: 1920x1080 24 or 30fps
- Video snapshot: Disable
- Movie Servo AF: Disable
- AF w/ shitter button during video: OFF

I guess some settings do not have any effect but, for example, Movie rec. size was causing malfunction when set to 640 30fps.

Nikolaj

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on March 17, 2023, 03:24:46 PM
Hi!

Set AccessMode to "SDR50" in SD Overclock submenu, check this post:

Try 192 MHz and 240 MHz presets, are they stable now?
You will need to make a camera restart after these changes.

OMG it worked!!! So far it's stable and showing between 60-75 mb/s in different modes.

I don't know exactly what did the change, but i took in all of you guys advice and now i can record on my Eos M. Im so HAPPY! Huge thanks for all the effort you all put into this community.

Now i can begin investing in gear for this small and mighty camera and soon get out and film my documentary.
This means a lot for a person like me without much coin on my hand!

Tanks again.
Nikolaj