BMPCC vs EOS M Dual ISO

Started by iaburn, February 24, 2023, 11:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaburn

Just for fun I took a short clip to compare the dynamic range on the EOS M, the original BMPCC and the Panasonic GH4.

GH4 in ProRes HQ 10bit on the VLog profile recorded with an old Atomos ninja star
EOS M in RAW at 16:9, 14 bits, w/ and w/o Dual ISO, at 5K frtp (1264x2134) and 2.5K (2520x1416)
BMPCC in RAW
All of them exposed right below the point where the sky was clipping.

The GH4 was the worst of the bunch, then the EOS M w/o Dual ISO was a bit better but not good. Ahead and veeery close between them are the EOS M with Dual ISO and the BMPCC.
I saw some videos comparing the DR in RAW between the EOS M and the BMPCC and it was always a win for the Blackmagic, but Dual ISO changes things. EOS M seems to clip blacks earlier, but it also seems to have a bit less noise in the shadows.
I always start editing the EOS M DNGs just like the BMPCC on Davinci. I set Blackmagic Design Film on the RAW tab and apply the "Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709 v2" LUT. This way the clips from both cameras look very similar after adjusting WB.

Below some stills and a link to the files if someone wants to play (I skipped the GH4 and the non dual ISO clips because the shadows were a colorful mess).

BMPCC:

2.5K Dual ISO:

5K frtp Dual ISO:

Files: https://mega.nz/file/h1FUWBjD#vzKFQzNMy1MB5lFCJYQ7Ux9xEV_S627oaBj6SD8-wqU

ML700D

5k dual iso is good..
I think bmpcc has more dr and eos M looks softer, IMO.
EOS 700D