Canon XF605: Teardown and Datasheets

Started by ponguin, February 15, 2023, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponguin

If you happen to have a (spare?) XF605 you do not mind taking apart, please do so (carefully!) and document (or at least link) your findings here!

In other words: This thread shall receive all the images taken from inside your camcorder.
If you don't have a camera at hand when disassembling your camcorder, documenting any IC markings and linking datasheets is probably just as good ;)

WARNING: many screws on XF605 are secured using threadlocker.
Double check that you are always using a perfectly fitting screwdriver and alway apply sufficient axial force when (un-)screwing, otherwise the screw heads are very(!) easily damaged beyond repair.

As always: never use force for separating things.
If something doesn't come off very easily, you very very likely missed either at least one screw, connector with extremely thin wires on it or a very delicate flexible flat cable!
I haven't encountered any plastic clips on XF605 so far.

The good news: you can get incredibly far with just a suitable crosshead screwdriver and/or bit.
My J00 bit worked somewhat, yet I have definitely seen better fits, so take this information with a big grain of salt.
Theoretically (or rather: mechanically) the XF605 seems to be an almost perfect positive example of how to build repair-friendly electronics — if there only was easy access to spare parts  ???

Our images and details will follow...

ponguin

Below the flippable LCD's rest position:

ponguin

Below the bottom cover containing the screwholes used for fixing the camera on a tripod, on the "mainboard" PCB, there are two unused connectors:
40 pins respectively 50 pins., maybe JST JMDSS?

The 50 pin header contains 1.8V UART pins for Diva.  8)

ponguin

JST JMDSS has too large distance between the two opposing pin rows (it is too wide, while the pitch is ok).
Big thanks to Walter Schulz for the hint https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26807.msg242495#msg242495 that there is a (now obsolete) series of even smaller connectors.
I can now confirm JST JMCS is indeed fitting.