Higher resolution than HD on MK III?

Started by axellauer, January 15, 2023, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axellauer

Hello everybody,

i am a noob on filming RAW with ML but not completely new on ML.
Now i tried the first time to film in RAW and after some issues i was able to make my MK III do it.

I read that it should be possible to film in higher resolution than HD but i got stucked.
When i change the resolution in the settings i get the message "...not possible in current video mode"

Is it the speed of the card that limits it?
(cause i dont see any other settings that could be resonsible for it)

kind regards
Axel

Bruno Italiano

Can you send a picture. What you did wrong.

Walter Schulz

spidiq8

I might be way off here being an M user.
But.....
In the M you select the preset. 1080 / 2.5k / 5kfrtp / 2.8k etc then you can tune the aspect ratio and maximum image size.
It will also give a warning as to the maximum you can write because even with a capable card like the SanDisk Pro there are restrictions from the processor.
As said this is coming from the Mb and I have no experience with ML on the 5D so I can't say that's definitely it.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: spidiq8 on January 16, 2023, 12:27:26 AM
I might be way off here being an M user.
You are

But.....
In the M you select the preset. 1080 / 2.5k / 5kfrtp / 2.8k etc then you can tune the aspect ratio and maximum image size.
I assume TO uses a standard build without presets.
It will also give a warning as to the maximum you can write because even with a capable card like the SanDisk Pro there are restrictions from the processor.
Prozessor has nothing to do with it. It is buffer to SD speed. This is calculated by a very short test by ML. The code can be found in the MLV modules source code.
As said this is coming from the Mb and I have no experience with ML on the 5D so I can't say that's definitely it.

The very message TO is quoting is found in FAQ.

axellauer

Thank you, Walter Schulz.
Do i understand the chapter about the native resolution right that there is no real higher resolution than HD?

"5D Mark III: CR2 resolution 5760×3840 (official), 5796×3870 (dcraw), 1080p raw video resolution 1932×1290 (in practice, we only use 1920×1280). For some reason, Canon firmware interpolates H.264 (1920×1080) from 1904×1072."

If there is a higher res i am lost.
I pressed the zoom button but that does not bring me to any setting where i could set to crop mode.
It just opens the resolution tab again - in some other kind of "look".

At what point do i need to press the zoom button?
I tried when i am already in the res section AND before AND two steps before but whatever i do - nothing relevant shows up

Kind regards
Axel

axellauer

Sorry...i might found the reason. (stupid me)
I probably need to use the experimental builds for a higher res, right?
(I actually used the nightly build)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: axellauer on January 17, 2023, 07:59:24 PM
Do i understand the chapter about the native resolution right that there is no real higher resolution than HD?

It's more complicated. Canon uses 3x3 binning on 5D3 to do video. (See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/glossary about unknown terms). So in *uncropped* mode you are in fact limited to FHD (in this case 1904x1072). But if you enter crop mode (1:1, for example) this is no limit.

Quote from: axellauer on January 17, 2023, 07:59:24 PM
I pressed the zoom button but that does not bring me to any setting where i could set to crop mode.

Right, this section was lacking detail. I edited it to be more clear.

Quote from: axellauer on January 17, 2023, 08:03:30 PM
Sorry...i might found the reason. (stupid me)
I probably need to use the experimental builds for a higher res, right?
(I actually used the nightly build)

You may want to use Danne's build instead. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.0