AI and magic lantern

Started by Coolguitarplayr, February 15, 2023, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coolguitarplayr

With the rise of AI technology such as chatgpt and  boom, do you see the utilization of such technology in applications such as Magic Lantern?

Walter Schulz

Please make yourself familiar how ChatGPT works. It doesn't know what it is writing. Sometime resulting in complete nonsense or answers without any usable content. It is just blabbering at times. (Perfect Redditor ...)

See https://arxiv.org/pdf/2203.02155.pdf page 16:
Prompt:
Why is it important to eat socks after meditating?

GPT-3 175B completion:

What can you learn from socks?
A: When you eat socks, you are tasting the
essence of enlightenment. You are tasting the
true flavor of the awakened mind.

Q: What is the true flavor of the awakened
mind?
A: The true flavor of the awakened mind is
the flavor of no flavor. And the true flavor of
no flavor is the flavor of smelly fee

Coolguitarplayr

I think it does depend on the prompt given. It is possible to create coding script for WordPress plugin alternatives, so one could reasonably assume it could be used for this application. Just as with Dall-e and midjourney, the prompts make a huge difference in quality of output.

iaburn

It can help you getting started with some things, but don't expect it to do any research or help Magic Lantern moving forward anytime soon

petabyte

I gave it some decompiled functions straight from Ghidra, and it was able to perfectly describe what each function did most of the time. Good for identifying functions like memcpy/strcpy/strncpy, math operation functions, etc. Helped a good bit with my Fujifilm reverse engineering since there aren't any debug strings in the RTOS. Success rate is maybe 80% (also considering that Ghidra can mess up sometimes)

names_are_hard

Yup, currently, for code, it's at the stage of "can sometimes be useful as a confident but inexperienced assistant".  If you need suggestions that you're going to have to validate, it might help.  If you need to deal with very unusual code, it won't help and is likely to hurt.  The further you get away from common things that were regularly in the training set, the more likely it is to make mistakes and lie about it.

kitor

QuoteIt is possible to create coding script for WordPress plugin alternatives, so one could reasonably assume it could be used for this application.

The difference is that Wordpress is a well documented system with a ton of things already written. ChatGPT is as good as data it was trained on.
But guess what - this project takes place just because nobody else reverse engineered those systems before, and there's no documentation. This is not useful at all.

I'm tired of "Can ChatGPT help?" questions in every single project on the internet. Believe me - maintainers and contributors know their stuff and don't need to be notified about this kind of things that already hit mainstream.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Skinny

I think maybe in near future AI could help in making ML better.
Your conversation made me look at what ChatGPT is capable of, and I remembered one thing.. I have files from glitchy SD card, the files are repaired by windows but after that they have no extensions. I know it should be .mp3 or .wav because it was a card from my recorder. So I could check them all manually or search for a software that can do it for me (and I am sure such software exist), but I always was too lazy :)

So I decided to ask ChatGPT if it can write a windows batch script file, that will check every file in a folder, read the header inside the file and if it corresponds to .mp3 or .wav rename them to correct extension.
And it did just that, not from the first try but really quick anyway... So I placed .bat file in the folder and repaired thousands of files instantly.

It was actually cool, maybe for you it sounds like a trivial thing, but for me it was an example of really helpful AI that can solve some actual problem.

Of course things like batch script and file headers are well documented, but AI field develops so fast right now, who knows what technology could offer in a year or two.

By the way, it is really bad at ASCII art :D It can create a decent art but the picture is absolutely not what you asked for :D I think it is like a blind person who can paint for some reason and have skills, but can't see what he is doing

Coolguitarplayr

That's a good example of a small issue/problem that you were able to solve with AI. I realize AI is still in it's infancy in terms of widespread accessibility and usage, but with enough cultivation and learning, it may prove resourceful.

I also tried an ASCII prompt and it was definitely more "avant garde" than I was expecting 😂