Do you realize that only too few camera had RAW video capability?

Started by JOELwindows7, February 15, 2023, 06:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOELwindows7

Okay. Everyone, pls come here. Here here. This is very interesting & very important. So people, do you realize that all these times over the past few years, big brands like Canon (we had), Nikon, Sigma, Fuji, Panasonic Lumix, Sony Alpha, etc. etc. etc. lacks something? Something every essential, that should've been like, How in the world (swearingly), that this feature never been here to this day? And especially,

Why must we make Magic Lantern just so Canon can have RAW Video capability?!

I know, shockers, yes. I've went Vsauce here. But look at the title again. look above.

I mean, all cameras have RAW, all brands there is. Even smartphones too, look at my Samsung Galaxy, it can shoot RAW in Pro photo mode! But... No RAW video? the only reachable to certain amount of people is this, the Magic Lantern which of course a hack. And look at those poor budget artist who cannot buy expensive cinema camera. They stuck on H.264, or worse. Nothing RAW, nothing raw from sensor for video, already destructed.

Now pls collect these videos: Search red raw patent YouTube

Okay pls watch those later when you have time. Not now. Here, let me summarize.

The reason why, none of the consumer brand had Video RAW support is because... RED. yeah, that bas8888. You see what I'm talking about? Okay, ARRI has their own RAW, but ummmmm mmmmm it's their in house, idk why haven't we adopted this yet, because again, it's haaaaaaaard, I have no idea actually. also ARRI is expensive, and we are budget. But all, RED is all behind this, they expect all royalties no matter what whenever it's about RAW Video, it seems. They had the patent, and this Mr. Oakley abuses it to.... yeah you know.

Now you see, you people have achieved what it supposed to be. adding RAW Video to a camera where it should've been. Amazing Awesome, I'm impressed. It should be easy, it is easy. It did easy. In fact all cameras have RAW capability, but again, RED the bas8888 keeps them from doing it unless they can succ blood to thirst first (Royalty or Sue). In fact many company tried to fight back but somehow judges favors RED 💀.

Now, today I heard Nikon is being sued, for you guessed it, RAW video on the Nikon Z9. Man, Nikon used TicoRAW, but RED is RED, and RED never REST if there is competition, idk. I know Nikon isn't our side, but we gotta still hope Nikon wins, because if not, you know how lack step in tech would we still been. Pls, RAW Video all camera! developing hacks are risky & haaaaaaaaaaaaard!

well, that's all. thancc for your attention. feel free to talk about this here, idk.

by JOELwindows7
Perkedel Technologies
CC4.0-BY-SA
Founder of Perkedel Technologies
Share & Serve for Gratis, Open Source, & FULL VERSION!!!
Magic Lantern & CHDK stuffs I collected: https://perkedel.netlify.app/apps/wceload/Canon

names_are_hard

I don't believe this is true.

The RED patents only attempt to cover compressed raw, in 4K resolution or above.  Even then, the patent is limited to particular methods of compression.  3K uncompressed raw wouldn't be affected at all.

The first RED patent around raw video that I can find is this one: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8872933B2/en
That's from 2012.  The 5D2 was released in 2008, so RED patents have nothing to do with availability of raw video on that cam (or a wide range of other ML supported cams that were released around this time).  Unless there's an earlier patent I've missed?

My personal opinion is that their patents won't be held to be valid as generally as they're trying to apply them, so the situation is likely to be simpler in a few years when the cases work through the courts.

It's completely fine to speculate!  But when you confidently state incorrect things as facts, it can confuse other people.

Walter Schulz

names_are_hard

Useful data point, but the point I'm making is that this original statement cannot be true: "The reason why, none of the consumer brand had Video RAW support is because... RED".  The timing just doesn't work.

JOELwindows7

Oh you're right. coz I just found one another camera that can shoot RAW video, it's this Sigma FP that its RAW video format is Adobe CinemaDNG. And taking survey at serveral stores here, OMG, it costs 4 Grands  :-[
Okay, Uhh, don't worry! we got this APK for Android that shoots CinemaDNG (or whatever the RAW Video it would be) for uhh $18, MotionCam Pro. Wait, I haven't tested this.

Also, the... CinemaDNG is not compressed. What I was meant really was.. Compressed RAW, that RED has. And as you can see, no RAW on other brands than RED are compressed, I think.. & say if a camera had ProResRAW, uhh I heard that's because the manufacturer subscribed to RED. idk..
Alright, I should've said

RED has been holding hostage for Compressed RAW in form of their patents
yeah like that. idk.
there is consumer brand that has RAW video then. and it's rich consumer brand. ah man.

ah damn it, so hard to search, I'm still looking which camera had Compressed RAW than RED. forget cinema camera, we're talking about Compressed RAW on a.. budget consumer brand (less than 1 grand). ... uhh, nothing. Look, if you came here & a cinematographer, I know you don't want to compress RAW Video, but uh you see, many of us budget here lacks disk space, but insist on highest flexibility. And that's what we want. I couldn't find it. It's only some here, and that expensive thingies.
Please if you know which camera beside ones that supports ML, has RAW video built in, Compressed RAW if you want, less than 1 grand let us know, idk...

Yep, okay. Here more articles & YouTube videos I've explored

oh yeah idk about the other RAW video like Blackmagic RAW, ARRI RAW, idk.. maybe they're also not compressed, idk.
Founder of Perkedel Technologies
Share & Serve for Gratis, Open Source, & FULL VERSION!!!
Magic Lantern & CHDK stuffs I collected: https://perkedel.netlify.app/apps/wceload/Canon

Deadcode

Dont overlook that MotionCam Pro. You can shoot compressed 4K 60 fps RAW with a smartphone.. and the quality is actually insane... My OnePlus 8 Pro challenges my 700D in both noise and dynamic range... and surpass it in detail.

if you mess up the WB or exposure, RAW may save your ass. If you nail WB and exposure, a good LOG will be far enough in any project.

You love RAW because ML developers made one klikk film look for you with MLVAPP. You can archive the same look with proper color grading skill even with an 8 bit log... for much less storage space and for much less processing power.

Why can't you shoot raw with consumer products? Because customers want to have awesome look right out of the box, and dont want to fiddle with the footage. Here on these forums only the 1% of the canon users who want to have more from their camera.