M2 or 650D?

Started by Tomasz Szladowski, January 06, 2023, 01:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomasz Szladowski

Hello from Poland.

I'm a greenhorn here, so please forgive my questions, but the more I read about Magic Lantern, the more confused I become. I have three questions:

1. Does Magic Lantern work with Canon EOS M2?
2. Do you recommend M2 or 650D? They both cost the same in Poland ($220-$250), and M2 is very hard to find. The most important things for me are:
- movie quality (RAW at 2.5, 2.8K resolution, filming time, 50 fp/s would be perfect) - I can't find a cage for 650d - does it exist?
- ability to add accessories (cage, external microphone, monitor, etc.)
- using different lanses
3. I noticed that the latest versions of Magic Lantern on the download page are from 2018. Is there a place with newer versions? Is experiment versions stable and safe?

Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice day,

Tom

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Tomasz Szladowski on January 06, 2023, 01:01:06 PM
1. Does Magic Lantern work with Canon EOS M2?

Yes, but only limited support because ATM there is no dev working on it

2. Do you recommend M2 or 650D? They both cost the same in Poland ($220-$250), and M2 is very hard to find. The most important things for me are:
- movie quality (RAW at 2.5, 2.8K resolution, filming time, 50 fp/s would be perfect) - I can't find a cage for 650d - does it exist?
- ability to add accessories (cage, external microphone, monitor, etc.)
- using different lanses
650D: More buttons, articulating monitor, less prone to overheating

EOS M/M2: Ergonomics .. ouch! Heating ... yes! I'm not talking about going into heat protection (=cam shuts down) but cam will get warm without additional cooling and therefore noise level will increase.
Greatest plus: Versatility when it comes to adapting vintage lenses.

When it comes to usability: None of these cams was built with raw recording in mind. You can not always get what you want and you cannot make everything ML offers at once. If you are trying to push limits one way something other has to give way. Or in other words: While making substantial progress in RAW resolutions and recording bandwidth "old" features may not be usable anymore at the same time. You may have troubles using HDMI in highest recording modes.

650D cages: Build your own with some mounting rails and gear.

3. I noticed that the latest versions of Magic Lantern on the download page are from 2018. Is there a place with newer versions? Is experiment versions stable and safe?

We don't do "stable and safe". By definition ML cannot be called safe. It is reversed engineered without any support by Canon.
We advice *not to use* Magic Lantern for professional work. ML project cannot held liable for any damage to your footage, your gear, your mental health and your professional reputation!

Here the latest developments take place:

Magic Lantern Forum »    Experimental builds (WIP) »    crop_rec and derived builds