Monitoring ETTR (preview lut)? exposure simulation for client monitor

Started by dpjpandone, December 31, 2022, 03:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

Hey guys,

Anyone have a solution for live preview that would simulate exposure after post-processing while exposing to the right? For example, I'm exposing to the right for the cleanest shadows, the preview on the monitor or the LCD looks overexposed, load a custom picture style that pulls down exposure so the preview more closely approximates what the final image will look like after post processing? I have downstream hardware (monitors and sdi conveters) that allow me to load custom LUT's, does anyone use this technique for monitoring? It's hard for me to explain to the director or the client why I'm ettr, they generally don't understand and just want to see a rec709 image that is properly exposed. Can anyone reccomend some LUT's or picture styles that would help in this case?

The other thing is since all the footage appears 1.2 stops underexposed when CDNG is imported to resolve I think even when not ETTR it would be useful to make a picture style that pulls at least one stop for the preview.

dpjpandone

I think I have found the solution. applying negative gain in the ML menu (a feature designed for cleaner shadows in .h264 files) does not affect the ISO on the recorded MLV file, The MLV file captures full stops of analog gain, so applying negative gain effectively pulls the preview back down to normal exposure. from -0.1 to -1.0 the preview is lowered by one full stop. When you hit -1.5 it is lowered 2 stops. I re-iterate this ONLY AFFECTS PREVIEW and does not alter the ISO recorded in the raw file. The MLV raw file will always record full-stop CANON ISO settings.

Mehmet Kozal

Nice one dude. Clipping on monitor and histogram matches now.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.