Any features to continue recording RAW seamless, automatically?

Started by artem, November 25, 2022, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artem

New blood here, guys :)
I knew about Magic Lantern just yesterday (what a pain to know it after 10 years of using 600d with soviet glasses). I'm waiting while my old good 600d come to me from another country, so I can only seek for info now. I was upset to know RAW files with max quality are about 3,5 seconds. But I keep hope there is a feature to make these shorts nonstop for easy combining in one nice footage later. Does this kind of feature exist? Or I need to push rec button each time after3-7 seconds video is ended?

Walter Schulz

Movie tab/screen -> Movie tweaks -> Movie restart

But this won't do any good (IMO):
Cam starts recording, buffer gets filled, writing to card starts.
Buffer overflow because card write is slower than buffer gets filled. -> Cam stops recording

With restart option activated: Buffer is full, write to card proceeds. Buffer tells cam logic that buffer is free (but only a small amount actually is) -> Cam is able to restart recording and ML will start recording.
And because only a small amount of buffer is available buffer will get stuck very, very soon. You will not even get 3.5 seconds this time and every time after.

In short: 600D is not well suited to do high-res RAW/MLV with 24 fps or higher.

artem

Thanks for the detailed answer! I assumed something like that. Well, I'll try to do my best with cinestyle profile for now. And RAW timelapses.

(Dear admin, I have no idea what is "source code", so thanks to another one guy on reddit, who was also angry for such a captcha. I mean "heptapod". I hope it is the most tricky one here, I'd like not to google answers each time I need to send a post.)