How to quit service mode on a Canon camera?

Started by maxtorine, November 23, 2022, 03:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxtorine

Hi everyone!

I hope someone will be able to solve my problem.
My Canon SL2 main board died and I ordered a new one from Canon Canada.
I've installed the new board and the camera started working properly.
However it loads into service mode, meaning the camera powers up as soon as I insert the battery.
I have an additional item in the menu - Factory Menu.
So I googled this and found out that my main board is set to service mode.
I can't find any solution online except for buying the SPT Software and using it to set the main board back to normal.
But it is so expensive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Walter Schulz

Tornado EOS should be a more affordable option.

petabyte

You can disable it with EvProcs over USB: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20507.msg240093#msg240093
mlinstall supports calling EvProcs with parameters. I think chdkptp can do it too.
Edit: Nevermind - I think service mode disables PTP. You might be able to install ML on it and run the EvProc from Lua.

maxtorine

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 23, 2022, 06:32:50 PM
Tornado EOS should be a more affordable option.

Thank you! Never heard of that one but will give it a try if I can't find a free solution  :)

maxtorine

Quote from: petabyte on November 23, 2022, 08:23:38 PM
You can disable it with EvProcs over USB: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20507.msg240093#msg240093
mlinstall supports calling EvProcs with parameters. I think chdkptp can do it too.
Edit: Nevermind - I think service mode disables PTP. You might be able to install ML on it and run the EvProc from Lua.

Thanks! Looks like ML does not support the SL2. One of the prerequisites is the proper firmware, I have some kind of version 5.0.1 (ff) installed, which I think is part of the service mode.

Sapporo

Quote from: maxtorine on November 23, 2022, 09:00:46 PM
Thank you! Never heard of that one but will give it a try if I can't find a free solution  :)
Ask the creater of Tornado EOS if the paid version will be able to solve your service menu issue.

maxtorine

Quote from: Sapporo on November 24, 2022, 11:09:03 AM
Ask the creater of Tornado EOS if the paid version will be able to solve your service menu issue.

Yep, I have sent them an email. No response so far.

maxtorine

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
Tornado worked like a charm. They sent me instructions on how to initialize the new main board properly and looks like the camera is back to business.