canon 5d iii stuck on 9% updating firmware , is it dead?

Started by omer555lif, November 09, 2022, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omer555lif

hey there!
I tried to install ML but something went wrong.
I needed to downgrade 5d iii firmware, so after i did this "hack" with the battery and put the next sd with the ML firmware, it stucked on 9% updating.
now, the canon 5d iii firmwares dont work also. no matter what firmware i try it stays at 9% and does not function beside that
i tried anything but nothing seems to succeed... is the camera dead? or is there a possibility of set any firmware in this case
thanx alot!

Walter Schulz

Check card content.
You should have DCIM and MISC subdirectories and a single FIR file.

Remove battery. Insert *first* card and battery.
What happens next after startup? You may add a vid showing your cam screen during startup.

EDIT: There are 2 slighty different methods called "battery door hack". Which one have you tried to use?

omer555lif

hey walter!
the content is as it should
i did the battery method to downgrade the firmware by faking updating by putting on disk with canon firmware but the moment it begin - i took out the battery and put the 2nd sd card with the ML firmware.
i think i did it too late while the updating already started, but im not sure.

i dont know how to put a video here so i share a link from my google drive- whats shown on screen
thanx alot!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: omer555lif on November 09, 2022, 11:33:38 PM
i took out the battery and put the 2nd sd card with the ML firmware.
Unclear:
"ML firmware" = Canon firmware 1.2.3 or 1.1.3
or
"ML firmware" = ML-Setup.fir

Quote from: omer555lif on November 09, 2022, 11:33:38 PM
i dont know how to put a video here so i share a link from my google drive- whats shown on screen
No link!

omer555lif

answer: ML firmware= ML-Setup.fir

i put the link again if it doesnt show up i guess its not allow to link in this chat
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AGFyjJQeeVerYPHXosJj8hUzp9SFIOj/view?usp=share_link

Walter Schulz

Well, you did it wrong.
To downgrade Canon firmware you don't have to use ML's "Bootflag enabler" but Canon's firmware file. You will not find any proper downgrade instruction telling otherwise.

But damage has been done. Let us proceed by making sure we are on the same page:
Please check card content again and place Canon's firmware file for version 1.3.6 into it. Make sure to have no other FIR file present!
Proper file is named 5D300136.FIR

omer555lif

i checked it again . 5D300136.FIR for sure on SD card and yet, stuck on 9% :/

Walter Schulz

Last check before switching to discord:
Check file's MD5 checksum 5D300136.FIR
Should be EE6DAC5881E5CAD7B167AFBFD621B165
If checksum is not matching: Get a spare card and copy FIR to card and recheck MD5.

omer555lif

Walter Schulz

Making some inquiries in the background.
Will come back to you soon (I hope).