Lexar 1066x CF Card speeds in relation to capacity

Started by Tyronetheterrible, October 12, 2022, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronetheterrible

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of acquiring a 5D3 for the purposes of a project that I will attempt to shoot almost entirely with the 5.7k anamorphic preset.

I have decided on purchasing the Lexar 1066x CF cards as storage. however, I am now stuck in analysis paralysis in regards to what size to get them in.

After some extensive combing on the forum and finding nothing definitive, I thought I would ask here for my own peace of mind: Is there any notable speed differences between the different size cards? The project largely consists of talking head shots that are roughly 20-30 minute sessions that I intend to shoot continuously, with some landscape shots mixed in. I would ideally like to purchase a 256GB card or two to capture as much in one go as possible, provided there is no noticeable drop in performance compared to its 128GB or 64GB counterparts?

Thank you guys so much in advance, and apologies if this information is located in plain sight elsewhere on the forum.

Tyronetheterrible

Thanks, @Walter Schulz!

I understand those are the advertised speeds. However, my question stems more from the various threads throughout the years speculating (be it from benchmarks or through real world use) that the higher capacity CF cards such as the 256GB might actually perform poorer than the lower capacity ones (64GB, 128GB), and I just wanted to be certain whether or not that was the case (at least in a significant enough way that would warrant getting one size over the other).

Walter Schulz

As advertised: Not a thing for this card type.
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/cf-cards/

BTW: Latest test results indicate a maximum write performance of around 145 MByte/s for 5D3 by using combined write to SD and CF.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26641.25

Tyronetheterrible

Understood. Thank you so much for the resource, @Walter Schulz!

Dmytro_ua

Anamorphic RAW needs a lot of space. I would get two 128 instead of one 256. You can use one card while the second one is uploading footage to your computer.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on October 13, 2022, 11:05:45 AM
Anamorphic RAW needs a lot of space. I would get two 128 instead of one 256. You can use one card while the second one is uploading footage to your computer.

That is a fair point to consider, @Dmytro_ua!

Do you happen to know how many approx. minutes of 5.7k anamorphic RAW would fit on a 128GB card? I'm aiming to capture at minimum ~20 mins of footage on one card, and if that means getting 256GB, I will. But if 20 minutes can fit on 128GB, I would definitely have no problem spending less for a 128GB card, haha.

Grognard

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 13, 2022, 01:59:56 PM

Do you happen to know how many approx. minutes of 5.7k anamorphic RAW would fit on a 128GB card?

5.7k 14bits lossless is around 5.5GB per minute.
12 bits lossless is around 5.2GB per minute.
It should be more than 20 minutes by 128GB card.

I will shoot a film only in 3.5K mode and i have calculed that is around 6.2GB in 12 bits.
I have
- 2 CF 128GB
- 2 CF 64GB
- 2 CF 32GB
- 1 SD 256GB
- 2 SD 128GB

That should be enough ;)

Should be enough for a day work ;)

Bruno Italiano

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Grognard on October 14, 2022, 10:03:01 AM
5.7k 14bits lossless is around 5.5GB per minute.
12 bits lossless is around 5.2GB per minute.
It should be more than 20 minutes by 128GB card.

I will shoot a film only in 3.5K mode and i have calculed that is around 6.2GB in 12 bits.
I have
- 2 CF 128GB
- 2 CF 64GB
- 2 CF 32GB
- 1 SD 256GB
- 2 SD 128GB

That should be enough ;)

Should be enough for a day work ;)

Thank you so much, @Grognard, I really appreciate this super useful information! I will purchase two 128GB CF cards instead of two 256GB cards, knowing it's enough space. This will save me a lot of money  :)

Quote from: Bruno Italiano on October 14, 2022, 01:00:30 PM
Have you got two cameras?

@Bruno Italiano, I have a 6D with a VAF-6D installed that will serve as my B cam. From what I've seen of the 5.7k footage, it appears to squeeze down to a 2:39 aspect ratio, so I will just simply shoot in regular MLV in a 2:39 aspect ratio setting on my 6D.

Grognard

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 14, 2022, 03:57:21 PM

Thank you so much, @Grognard, I really appreciate this super useful information! I will purchase two 128G

You're welcome. But keep in mind that a 128GB card is only ~119GB free spaces. And with losless compression, It could be more depending of the scene. But I'm sure 20 minutes will be OK.

Bruno Italiano

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 14, 2022, 03:57:21 PM

Thank you so much, @Grognard, I really appreciate this super useful information! I will purchase two 128GB CF cards instead of two 256GB cards, knowing it's enough space. This will save me a lot of money  :)

@Bruno Italiano, I have a 6D with a VAF-6D installed that will serve as my B cam. From what I've seen of the 5.7k footage, it appears to squeeze down to a 2:39 aspect ratio, so I will just simply shoot in regular MLV in a 2:39 aspect ratio setting on my 6D.

Amazing what kind of footage you can achieve with these cameras. By the way has anybody heard anything of Zeek?

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Grognard on October 14, 2022, 05:24:33 PM
You're welcome. But keep in mind that a 128GB card is only ~119GB free spaces. And with losless compression, It could be more depending of the scene. But I'm sure 20 minutes will be OK.
Duly noted. I feel really good about this decision.

Quote from: Bruno Italiano on October 14, 2022, 07:42:36 PM
Amazing what kind of footage you can achieve with these cameras. By the way has anybody heard anything of Zeek?
Not anything lately. But I do love his amazing work with the EOS M.