I've bought EOS M and it's not turning LCD on

Started by ink, October 11, 2022, 01:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ink

I bought a Canon EOS M at an auction, the camera is in perfect condition externally, but the camera does not turn on, the red (orange) LED flashes, the LCD screen does not turn on if I use a memory card with Magic Lantern.
If I turn on the camera without the memory card, the screen does not light up, but the LED blinks green and after a while, it lights up green, and the display does not light up.
When turning on the camera with a FAT formatted memory card the same symptoms as without the memory card - the LED flashes green a few times and after a while, it goes green, and the display does not light up.

What should I do? I installed the autoexec.bin from the topic Display access from bootloader / Portable binary test on the Magic Lantern card I used before on another EOS M camera. With autoexec.bin I just have the green LED blinking endlessly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Please guide me through the process, thanks!

Walter Schulz

Make sure to remove battery after each startup attempt and retry your tests. Same results?

ink

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 11, 2022, 02:03:49 PM
Make sure to remove battery after each startup attempt and retry your tests. Same results?
Thanks!
I've tried a couple of cycles by detaching and inserting the battery, changing the camera mode on the dial, and pushing the ON/OFF button. Just green blinking of the LED near the ON/OFF button, the screen is not lit at all.

Walter Schulz

Are you able to connect cam's HDMI output to TV set/AVR/computer monitor via HDMI?

ink

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 11, 2022, 02:27:00 PM
Are you able to connect cam's HDMI output to TV set/AVR/computer monitor via HDMI?
Connected the camera to my Freeworld monitor and it's working!  :D
What is the next step to perform to get an idea of how to turn the LCD on?

Walter Schulz

Open camera and check cables and connectors.
Warning: EOS M disassembly is tricky and you can easily destroy an FFC. Been there, done that. Watch tutorial first!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN4XLmkd9Xs

ink

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 11, 2022, 02:48:12 PM
Open camera and check cables and connectors.
Warning: EOS M disassembly is tricky and you can easily destroy an FFC. Been there, done that. Watch tutorial first!

Wow! Didn't expect that. So my goal is to check connections, right?
What if connections are okay, but the screen is not working? Is the only way to replace the screen?

Walter Schulz

It may be the screen or not. Can be a faulty component on PCB. I don't know how to find out but trial and error.