canon 600D magic lantern time-lapse. how to shoot on schedule?

Started by JustJo, April 02, 2021, 01:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJo

I shoot time lapses of plants growing and sometimes plants shouldn't get light at night. Accordingly, I should not take pictures at night because there is no point in that. But I have to do it because I don't know how to automate this process. I get a lot of dark shots that don't make sense.

No problem arises if you shoot around the clock without any changes to the settings.

But I need to turn off the camera at night. I can automatically turn off the camera via a 220v socket-timer.

The fact is that after turning off the power of the camera, the settings that I need are turned off - silent shooting, live view mode. Modules after such a power outage disappear until the next restart.

I have to touch the camera, which is not good, I can move the camera position, which is important for a perfect time-lapse.

It would be ideal if I could freeze the camera at certain time intervals - let's say from 22:00 to 6:00 every day - turn off the intervalometer. Is it possible to do this programmatically?

I do not have much experience and perhaps there is already a ready-made solution.  can somehow specify the settings that will be set after restarting the device?

Jamesonn

If you intend to avoid resetting the camera's settings, there are several feasible remedies. One possible option is to use a power adapter which runs the camera with AC power, eliminating the concern of running out of battery power. Another solution may be to use a programmable timer that regulates power to the camera at particular times of the day.

If you're interested in maintaining camera settings during certain time intervals without interrupting the intervalometer, try using a Magic Lantern script that can process everything automatically for you.

Keep in mind that lens quality also plays a vital role in achieving optimal time-lapse photography, so be sure to choose the right lenses for your Canon 600D. Here are some of the possible options: https://lensespro.org/canon-600d-lenses/

names_are_hard

Hi Jamesonn - you're using ChatGPT or similar for some of your answers.  Why are you doing that?

Walter Schulz

names_are_hard

Aww, I was genuinely curious why GPT was seen as beneficial for this use, and now I won't get a sensible answer.