MCU at fault? 200d multiple errors

Started by liquidzorch, October 25, 2022, 04:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidzorch

Hello. I have a question about swapping the canon 200d MCU, since it has various issues, like e50 with the flash, it won't autofocus while in camera mode (eyesight) it just focuses in and out and never finds the spot, but it will autofocus perfectly in live view mode (through screen), AND sometimes I can turn it on even when the battery door isn't closed. Additionally something that used to happen but not much anymore is that I could switch it on in photo mode, it wouldn't turn on until I pressed any other button. Here is a little backround to the camera, please note that the issues appeared one after the other. You might not need to read the whole story to help me answer my two questions about the MCU, but just in case how the symptoms appeared helps, here it is:

I bought a damaged 200d off ebay a few years ago. It looked like just a battery connector issue, but after opening the camera, I noticed that there was a little bit of water damage (very little corrosion spots around and under the SD port on the motherboard), a faulty SD port plus the faulty battery connector. After cleaning the corrosion, making sure no traces were damaged, plus changing the SD port and battery connector, the camera worked with one small issue, the flash would give an e50. During that time (this was over 2 years ago) I checked every thing that could be related to the flash, the flash board seemed good, there was no water damage, all traces could be traced back to the motherboard connector, and there was no pulse being sent to the flash charge transistor (checked with an oscilloscope). So I let it be, didn't need a flash any ways. The camera worked fine for a few months, mostly used for video, but also some photography. After a few moths I took it out on a trip, nothing happened except it being really hot outside, but it took perfect photos. Then the next day the autofocus stopped working in the viewfinder mode, sorry I forgot the term, BUT it works perfectly in video or in live view photos. SO thinging it was a dirty sensor, I opened it up, got to the autofocus sensor on the bottom cleaned everything (wasn't very dirty anyways), but no go. The flex cables seem 100% fine. Soall this, plus the battery door switch (which has been tested and proven to be good) that sometimes doesn't even need to be pressed, I have concluded that maybe it's a MCU issue, since it is under the SD slot, where most of the damage was.

So two questions that I have not been able to find answers to anywhere are:

Is the MCU (f74966a) a piece that would control all three issues? I would imagine that the door switch and maybe activate the flash board, but I'm not sure about the autofocus issue.

If I swap the MCU, does it need to be programmed? I have found some off aliexpress (the only place I could find them) but if it need programming then I don't think I'll even try the swap since programming software for the sl2 is super expensive.

Any input would be greatly appretiated. Sadly not many forums have people that work on dslr's, at least not the ones I normally use for electronics. This is my camera, and I do have repair knowledge, but mostly for laptops, computers and thisng with schematics, which canon dslr's do not have, and I am not familiar with them since I have never really messed with any. Now the lecd ribbon cable has broken, after so many times I have opened and closed the system, so I would like to try and fix the issues before ordering a $50USD part for a camera that was already so faulty.

Walter Schulz

Switch to ML's discord for a quick chat with kitor.