ND filter Marumi ND64 or CPL to shoot waterfall and seascape?

Started by NHCD, September 26, 2022, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCD

Hi sorry if this is asked,

Anyone has tried the Marumi super DHG ND64 before, is it high quality? Does it shift the color or making flares?

What is the different between Marumi Super and non-Super version?

I'm new to filters. My goal is to shoot waterfall or seascape in the middle of the day. Does 6 stops is enough to make silky water?  - i tried a technique to take alot of photo and median in PS but it doesnt look good enough.

I only want to invest to 1 filter only (82mm and stepdown), and Variable ND quality is not good as fix ND. So I wonder which one to pick, 6 stops or 10 stops?

Or I should go for CPL (marumi also?) then it will cut the reflection and also stop down 1 - 2 stops? But i think 2 stops are not enough.

And can ND64 stack with CPL ?
Thanks.

histor

I can't say anything about that exact filter, but I do a lot of such water scenes. My usual setup is a 1+kg carbon tripod, ND8 B+W filter (or a Chinese one, sometimes), not a large one. You can stack it with a CPL, but vignetting and flares become worse. The more surfaces you have, the more reflections you get.
I believe, any high density filter gives a noticeable color shift and some lack of sharpness. And no filter gives you a way to shoot in a broad daylight. F22 usually is a good solution, but you need some other shots (F8 or wider) to recover small details around in post. And flat frames to get rid of dust spots.
I prefer a moderate ND, then I can go with silent pictures at 0.1sec or multiple shots. You should align frames (perfectly!), then stack. Choose a tool you like, PS isn't the fastest one. If you have time, try video tools with optical flow (like Twixtor) - simulate more frames, then blend them.
Don't waste money too fast, get some practice, get some feel of it.

NHCD

Thank you for your great advice,

I'll go ahead with f22 solution first and median stack, and stack with f8 - then if needed, i'll consider 1 CPL cause CPL will decrease 1 - 2 stops

"Don't waste money too fast, get some practice, get some feel of it" -> indeed the best advice,thanks :)