5D3 - Denmark in slowmotion - 48fps

Started by masc, September 05, 2022, 08:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Since a long time a wanted to use a ML highspeed mode for a video. My last denmark holiday was perfect for this, because it was very windy. So I could capture a lot of motion - perfect for slowing down to 50%, 24fps in post.

I used a Danne build on my 5D3 - not the latest (I forgot to update, ups). Recording was pretty stable, using CardSpanning, 1920x960 (2:1), 14bit.

Procecssing was done with MLVApp, with the new AgX feature enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I6pL1wrfqI
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Dmytro_ua

Very nice!!
At what stage it is better to upscale?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

vastunghia

Congratulations, really fabulous!

Need to grab the 16-35 f2.8 as well, I have the 16-35 f4 but I'm not satsfied with dof @ f4. I always end up using my 35 f2 stopped down at f2.8. But I need 16mm for wide field, in particular with 1.6 crop (3.5K 1:1). Any case in which you hand-held the 16-35 and wished you had IS on it?

Hope one day I will be able to deliver footage (almost) as beautiful as yours! First I have to learn grading better. Then I will have to stop having my kids as my main subject, as they frantically jump here and there and make focusing a nightmare at 2.8 :D

Once again, great work!

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Kharak

Very nice!

I like the song too, but I don't think it fits for this video. Its to pumped up compared to the motion and images you portray. I would have went with a more melancholic soundscape.

Other than that, I love your colors, really nice, natural, vibrant and Saturated colors.

What gear did you use? Lenses?
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

Thank you all, for the nice words and also for critism!

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on September 06, 2022, 03:08:24 PM
At what stage it is better to upscale?
That is a difficult question. In past I upscaled as last step. Now as we have AVIR in MLVApp (which I like a lot) I do it in the processing step, before the edit/cut. I'd say for post stabilization and post rotation/cropping upscaling earlier is better, but you'll pay it with more needed disk space.

Quote from: vastunghia on September 06, 2022, 07:24:57 PM
Any case in which you hand-held the 16-35 and wished you had IS on it?
I really never record video without Glidecam / Gimbal / Tripod / Slider. If I do, the footage is way to shaky to do anything with it :) So... maybe an IS helps here.

Quote from: Kharak on September 07, 2022, 02:48:56 PM
What gear did you use? Lenses?
I used: EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II for the wide shots. For the tele shots I used the EF 100mm f/2.0, which were a lot in this video. The 5D3 was mounted on a Weebill S. Audio was recorded with a modded Audiotechnica Pro24.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202