New 240 MHz preset for 5D3 / EOS M / 100D (Download available)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 07, 2022, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 03, 2023, 11:15:19 AM
sd_uhs.c is the source code, you will need other files to compile it "Makefile" and probably "README" too, example:
https://foss.heptapod.net/magic-lantern/magic-lantern/-/tree/branch/sd_uhs/modules/sd_uhs

You can get them from the link or create them.

Or check the latest sd_uhs version (which include show CID info) here:

Overclocking - DIGIC 5 only

This:
This include "Makefile" and updated "README".

works! thank you!

Excellent work man! 240mhz obtained 80.8MB/s write speed on 5D3 (play mode) with sandisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s which totally negates the need for CF cards! (for me) If I don't need this much speed (I typically just shoot 1080p 14-bit lossless @ less than 50MB/s) do you think reducing the clock speed to 160mhz would increase the longevity of the hardware? or is it simply there for backwards compatibility with older cards?

There is one little quirk I've managed to reproduce. "Free memory" in debug menu throws ERR70 every time

bhiter010

Quote from: anto on September 12, 2022, 08:31:10 PM
My 512 170MB/s serial is 212

btw found that formatting in exfat it reaches 62 MB/s with 192 Hz  :)
seems to be mate
looks it helps in my case
appreciated!

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 07, 2022, 05:46:28 PM
Details:

1.New GPIO registers:

Explaining will be added soon!

Just added the info for GPIO registers for documenting, check it here:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 07, 2022, 05:46:28 PM
1.New GPIO registers:
Explaining will be added soon!
(Edit: Explaining was added in 9-1-2023)

These registers seem to be related to SD controller registers?

iaburn

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 09, 2023, 09:42:36 PM
Just added the info for GPIO registers for documenting, check it here:

Very interesting, I'm amazed how you figured all this out of nowhere! 😯

70MM13

i'm a little late to the 5d3 240mhz party, but here's my results!
in case the image doesn't work, it's 96 MB/S  :)

[gifv]49p54rd[/gifv]

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: iaburn on January 10, 2023, 06:58:06 AM
Very interesting, I'm amazed how you figured all this out of nowhere! 😯

Thanks!
Time + Patience + Log analysis + Experiments (a lot of them) + Anyone helped to get logs and run tests . . resulted in these findings :D

There are a lot of other amazing work have been done in many sections (like Lossless, RAW video, new ports, increasing RAW resolution, Real-Time preview stuff :P ... etc) by other devs, and many of them are even more complex than this.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: 70MM13 on January 10, 2023, 02:28:55 PM
i'm a little late to the 5d3 240mhz party, but here's my results!
in case the image doesn't work, it's 96 MB/S  :)

Cool results :)
The image doesn't work, seems like the link is missing or incorrect.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: dpjpandone on January 08, 2023, 01:23:13 AM
Excellent work man! 240mhz obtained 80.8MB/s write speed on 5D3 ...

Thanks!

... do you think reducing the clock speed to 160mhz would increase the longevity of the hardware? or is it simply there for backwards compatibility with older cards?

Correct, some SD cards aren't fast enough and doesn't work with high frequencies like 192 MHz and 240 MHz. That's one reason why 160 MHz is there.
I don't know if lower clock speeds help with "increasing the longevity of the hardware".

There is one little quirk I've managed to reproduce. "Free memory" in debug menu throws ERR70 every time

That's not related to SD overclocking, but to RAW video. When RAW video is activated (mlv_lite) it allocate all available memory, and once you higlight (or maybe click?) on "Free memory", an ML function which analysis free memory would run and would conflict somehow with RAW video, because of RAW video allocated all memory. I had this problem before.

dpjpandone

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 11, 2023, 10:02:11 PM

That's not related to SD overclocking, but to RAW video. When RAW video is activated (mlv_lite) it allocate all available memory, and once you higlight (or maybe click?) on "Free memory", an ML function which analysis free memory would run and would conflict somehow with RAW video, because of RAW video allocated all memory. I had this problem before.

OK thank you for explaining this. I noticed the ML menu reports "not exactly clean" patching when the module is activated, I thought there was some correlation here but I forgot to test for the same behavior with the module deactivated.  :-X

Walter Schulz

Sure, will be tested if coming with a good deal.
No high expectations, though.

2021 versions run fine and 10 percent higher benchmark numbers with proprietary cardreaders is nothing to write home about.

BTW: EVO Plus 256 GB, 2021 offered right now for 17 Euro = 0.66 Euro/GB.