Canon t2i 12bit or 10bit?

Started by scottsockett, September 07, 2022, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottsockett

Bare with me because I am fairly new to the Magic Lantern world.  I have it installed on my Canon EOS M, and I have no issues.  However I just installed it on my Canon T2i and I can't seem to find a build that will let me go down to 12bit or 10bit, and unfortunately the 14bit is too high of a mbps for my SD card.  Which also makes no sense to me because I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro which is supposed to have a write speed of up to 100mbps.  So i don't know if there is a setting to lower the bit rate on RAW, or if i am missing a setting to let my sd card write faster.  If anyone has some advise for me, it would be much appreciated.

Walter Schulz

SDcard interface in T2i/550D is limited to 25 MByte/s (theoretical) transfer speed. In RL you will get around 20.

theBilalFakhouri

dfort had a test build for 550D/T2i which includes 10/12 bit depths for RAW video, unfortunately I couldn't find it.

theBilalFakhouri

I couldn't build from that source code, also can't see commits, that archive misses .hg folder which is required for building and seeing commit history.

I wanted to ask dfort if he still his a copy for his repo, it seems he deleted his account on the forum? and his posts showing him as guest, example.

Walter Schulz

Ping Danne and ask. He saved some (all?) of dfort's repositories/builds.

theBilalFakhouri

I asked Danne, he didn't find it.

reddeercity

I have it i do believe , have to look for it in my achieve of magic lantern old files
in fact i usually keep D4 developments builds and Log files and any reverse engineering
Maybe i should charge for it ?  :P
it seems to be acceptable now days to charge for what is normally free

reddeercity

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: reddeercity on September 10, 2022, 06:30:37 AM
it seems to be acceptable now days to charge for what is normally free

Have you read selling forks under GPL?

Charging for a dev effort, time and hard work is what's normal, ML not used to do that, I agree. And nope my time isn't "normally free", if your time was like this, it's up to you and it's a personal choice. ;)

theBilalFakhouri

theBilalFakhouri

I think this 10-bit/12-bit is a old one?
Maybe there is newer.

I got dfort source code from Danne and dfort, will check it soon.

Walter Schulz

Haven't heard from OP since. Don't know if he/she wants to proceed with info given about 550D's limited storage interface bandwidth. 10 bit will give some 29 percent advantage in pixel count -> some 13 percent in vertical and horizontal pixels. Hardly making a difference IMO.

Skinny

This build almost works :)
12 bit ok, but 10 - top 1/3 part of a frame shifts out of place all the time, so the image is broken. It behaves differently with FPS changes, so... I don't know :) Some registers values are not right?

For me 10 bits makes a lot of difference. For example, 1600x670 using 14 bits I can only record for 4 seconds, using 10 bits - for 8 seconds.
If this time could be increased to ~10...12 sec for me it can be enough to actually use RAW on this camera..

bhiter010

Quote from: reddeercity on September 10, 2022, 06:42:15 AM
Ok , looks like i have found it .
10bit_12bit_raw_twk_crop_rec.2016Dec01.550D109.zip
No Charge Free as the birds  :P
actually looks like it is the right thing