Need to record video at 5X magnification

Started by GraphicMan, August 30, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicMan

Guys please help
not caring much about output resolution/quality
is it possible to record a video at 5x magnification?
just record what I see on screen at 5x mag
camera is 550D/T2i

theBilalFakhouri

Yes, you can that with RAW video:

-Load mlv_rec, restart camera
-Get into x5 mode
-Enable "RAW video (MLV)"
-Highlight "RAW video (MLV)", then press Q button, select 960x540 resolution (16:9 AR)

That resolution would ~match x5 mode preview.
You can reduce FPS to 23.976 using FPS override if you want continuous recording (required write speed would be 20.7 MB/s). Also you can lower aspect ratio or resolution more.

Skinny

if resolution and quality is not important, you can use 640x480 crop from Canon menu, it is default 550D option. It will give you maybe even more than 5x magnification..

GraphicMan

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 30, 2022, 11:44:47 PM
Yes, you can that with RAW video:

-Load mlv_rec, restart camera
-Get into x5 mode
-Enable "RAW video (MLV)"
-Highlight "RAW video (MLV)", then press Q button, select 960x540 resolution (16:9 AR)

That resolution would ~match x5 mode preview.
You can reduce FPS to 23.976 using FPS override if you want continuous recording (required write speed would be 20.7 MB/s). Also you can lower aspect ratio or resolution more.
thank you very much for the reply (i did not get a notification for your reply on email)
i have been using ML for a long time, i love it, but i never knew anything about "Load mlv_rec"
what is that? is that an extension or something new for ML, where to download it?
waiting

GraphicMan

Quote from: Skinny on August 31, 2022, 09:47:23 AM
if resolution and quality is not important, you can use 640x480 crop from Canon menu, it is default 550D option. It will give you maybe even more than 5x magnification..
resolution/quality not critical yes but mag magnification is, you are asking me to use 10x instead of 5x, not acceptable
thanks though

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: GraphicMan on August 31, 2022, 07:53:38 PM
i have been using ML for a long time, i love it, but i never knew anything about "Load mlv_rec"
what is that? is that an extension or something new for ML, where to download it?
waiting

https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#why_can_t_i_see_feature_x_in_the_menu

Skinny

Quote from: GraphicMan on August 31, 2022, 07:53:38 PM
go to modules, enable mlv_rec and mlv_play, have fun :D

to open and process .mlv files on computer you can use https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

GraphicMan

yeah all that worked, even played it back on the camera, thanks a lot
but neither he static nor the dynamic MLVplayer worked on win7 64 bit
will try on win10, any idea why it did not show anything on win7, not even an error message

GraphicMan

update: the 32bit version opened, really useful app however the convertion to mov takes a lot of time perhaps because it is a 32bit version, plz let me know what cause the 64bit not to work

another technical question, which mode from these would consume more energy on the camera
1. original 640x480 mov record mode
2. 960x640 MLV raw
i am certain the 2nd mode requires a lot more writing speed but i have no idea about the cpu usage of the 2 modes which in return an important part of the equation
thanks

Skinny

Raw should probably consume more power. But when I did timelapses with 550D, I didn't notice much difference between usual h264 and raw.

64bit version won't be much quicker than 32bit, it is just the way MLV App work. It does all calculations with CPU and processing raw video takes some time. If you have fast computer you can open two or more MLV App instances and process multiple files at the same time.

If you want speed - you can export dng sequence from MLV App (it will be relatively fast) and then open it in DaVinci Resolve.
Also check this https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19021.msg239749;topicseen#msg239749 it can process raw footage with GPU and it is fast but you need a powerful GPU.

For instant .mlv playing you can check this thread https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26596.0 and other links in it.

GraphicMan

Got it
however i would love to see a module to directly output h.264 at selected resolutions just like the original camera it will be much more practical and energy saving for those who dont need to edit the video
thanks