About Life and Its Journey

Started by bocago, August 26, 2022, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bocago

Hi everyone. First post here as a new ML user in ML. I started to use it in April 2022 and instantly fell in love with this camera. Here is one of my first attempts with Magic Lantern in EOS M back in April, all using 1080 mode at various fps. Hope you like it.

LenJohnson

This is beautiful. Well done.  I just put it up next to a Red sample and on and on...I like the quality just as much. Well, more at times. The Canon raw just has this intangible, mood setting something. You and Zeek show that the EOS M is a wonderful cinematic tool.

bocago

Thank you. I have the same feeling. The more I use the camera, the more I love it. Still can't believe that we can produce amazing pictures with this tiny budget.

Skinny

it was beautiful, and lovely colors :)
can you share some details, for example how you color graded it?

bocago

Sure, first of all, here are the details of the camera:
ISO: mostly 100
FPS: 48, 40, 30 and 24fps
Lens: Ttartisan 35mm f1.4
Filter: K&F Variable ND filter
White balance: 5500 in camera but then tweaked in MLV App depending on the situation

Workflow in the MLV app:
- Sony Slog3 profile
- Creative adjustments (ticked)
- 30% sharpening
- CA Desaturate (40% to 100%)
- Phantom Luts
- Other adjustments such as Dark Strength, Highlights, Vibrance, Temperature and Curves

Skinny

Thanks! I thought if you tick "creative adjustments" it will break log curve, but..
If I just set "dark strength" to zero - it will look exactly the same as without "creative adjustments" enabled! But now I can do other corrections... cool. Is it mentioned somewhere? How could I not know about it?

bocago

Yes, when you select a profile preset such as Slog3 or Alexa log-C, important adjustments like curve and exposure sliders are locked unless you tick "Creative Adjustments." For me it's a necessary step when I want to apply luts and color grade inside the MLV app. I know most people like to do it in Davinci Resolve using CDNG, but I feel that I can do the grading more optimally in the MLV app.

ilia3101

Exposure is always allowed, that's not just a creative adjustment, it's like changing your ISO. Sharpness is also allowed, that's just signal processing, not colour related.

Contrast, yeah, that's locked. I'll explain why...

QuoteThanks! I thought if you tick "creative adjustments" it will break log curve, but..

Yes, it breaks the log curve, specifically the dark strength adjustment is the one responsible by default, but any colour related slider will break the log encoding - If you want to export a pure log encoding from MLV App to grade with other tools, you should disable creative adjustments.

However if you want to grade log within MLV App, or use a manufacturer's LUT to convert their log to rec709 in MLV App, and then grade on top of that, you should allow creative adjustments. You don't need to care about breaking the log curve in this case.

But I think MLV App's new AgX is going to do a better job than manufacturers' log to 709 LUTs anyway ;)

And I recommend combining that with MLV App's filters, especially the first three options:

bocago

ilia3101, thank you for the insights. Can you elaborate more on the MLV App's filters? What do they do and what is the benefit in using it? Thanks.