Five questions

Started by Wannabe, August 22, 2022, 12:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

Hi guys, I have five lame beginner questions regarding the Canon EOS E and Magic Lantern.

1. What is a "build"?
Everybody on the internet is talking about downloading the latest "build". But is a build just another name for the latest version of Magic Lantern, or is a build some sort of of an add-on that you install after you have already installed the main Magic Lantern firmware?
Where to get the latest build?

2. Assuming that I have a good and fast SD card (SanDisk Extreme Pro), would it be possible to shoot 4K at 24fps, 10 bit continuously or will it only shoot a few seconds and then crash?
What is the highest resolution and bit rate that allows continuous shooting?

3. It is my understanding that the 5K modes in Magic Lantern are not real 5K, but are up-scaled 1080p.
Doesn't the picture quality get super bad when you up-scale 1080p to 5K?

4. What about the rolling shutter problem at high resolutions? Has it been solved or is it still present?

5. And finally: do you guys think that it would be possible to use Canon EOS M with Magic Lantern installed to shoot a short action movie where there will be lots of dynamic shots with lots of movement in them?
How good and how fast is the auto focus on ML anyway?

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

1. In general terms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_build
In ML terms: Anything you can take as a whole package, place it on your card and run. Most of the confusion may occur because we have a lot of "flavours": main (aka: nightly build), lua_fix, crop_rec_4k (and a lot of "custom builds" derived from this one).
You may want to look for latest custom build by Danne: Magic Lantern Forum -> Experimental Builds -> crop_rec and derived builds -> Sticky Topics -> Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M -> First post of thread

2. I hope Danne may answer

3. Same

4. Rolling shutter cannot be solved. It is not avoidable.

5. Good one. The only ML supported cam remotely able to have some satisfactory AF is 70D which hosts first generation DPAF. All other cams offer just contrast detection AF in liveview and they suck at it. It is unreliable for dynamic scenes. It is just what Canon offers and ML can do nothing about it. You may add some LIDAR devices and servos if you insist doing AF with those cams.

Here is a solution for Blackmagic cameras: https://www.diyphotography.net/this-12-iphone-app-gives-you-remote-focus-and-lidar-autofocus-on-your-blackmagic-cameras/

Wannabe

Thank you for your reply, Walter.
Regarding question N#3, I think I found the answer.  Zeek said in one of his YouTube videos that the 5K mode looks a bit soft and blurry as compared to the other modes. Makes sense.

names_are_hard

theBilalFakhouri

Or:
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/glossary#anamorphic

TL;DR: Vertical resolution is native, while Width resolution is stretched by 3.

Danne

1x3 binning or anamorphic as I call it really is the ideal preset on the eos m. There's your chance recording above 4k, continuous and with reduced aliasing. Output is filmatic, organic, pleasent to watch.

The next level would be 1x1 binning and 2.8k mode. It's in x3 zoom state so not really comparable. 3k or 4k on eos m with 1x1 will not work without sacrificing fps heavily.

Wannabe

Thank you so much for your replies, guys. Much appreciated!
Things are starting to make sense now.
I guess that the horizontally stretched 5K should do the job for my film making project. Or maybe even the 3X zoomed 2,8K (as long as it is continuous).