EOS M - Main_firmware flag is disabled

Started by WaltherL, August 03, 2022, 09:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaltherL

Hi, sorry if I am messing up here, just new to this forum. I searched for this problem here but did not find a solution.

The problem: I bought a Canon EOS M, it apparantly had ML installed (as mentioned by the previous owner, I did not receive the card with it). Turning the camera on automatically loads the update program giving issues. Since ML had been installed I tried the following (as found on this forum):

reformat the card in the computer,
then put it back in the camera and format it in the camera,
then use EOSCard or macboot to set the bootflag on the card
then put the ML files on the card

After inserting the card back into the camera it boots into firmware update and displays the message "MAIN_FIRMWARE flag is DISABLED!"

I have no idea how to fix this. The previous owner does not respond to questions.

Walter Schulz

Can you make a vid showing the issue and link it here?

WaltherL

kitor

I did not understand how camera behaves with no card and with freshly formatted card on PC.

Thing to check:
Remove .FIR file from Magic Lantern card, see if it boots successfully.
If not, make card bootable using EOSCard, retry.

This may get you into main firmware with Magic Lantern. Not a fix, but will tell us something more.

Another:
Have you tried just putting on Canon firmware update (.FIR file) on clean card (formatted on PC)?
As it boots in firmware update mode, "updating" firmware should fix the firmware and a flag.

From the recorded camera behavior + no responses from the seller I have a "scam" feeling.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

To get a complete view of what is going on:
What happens if you just insert a freshly formatted card (without any content) to cam and try to startup? Firmware update dialog pops up, right?

If so: Looks like owner tried to get rid of ML by installing Canon firmware (which won't remove ML's bootflag, btw) and somehow messed up inbetween.

You may have to run kitor's advice with several firmware versions. Here is a source: https://pel.hu/eoscard
Start with 2.0.3 and work your way down.

(Some overlap with kitor ...)

WaltherL

Hi Walter, kitor.

A blank card did not change the issue, however, a card with canon firmware did install the firmware (version 2.0.2) and the camera now works as normal (no sign of ML anywhere). Thank you for your help!

In the near future I will start dabbling with ML myself but for now happy to have a working camera  :) .

As far as what the previous owner did, it could be the case that he messed up removing ML. He said he used ML with this camera and that he had removed it and it was in working condition. It turned out not to be the case however.

Thank you so much for the help!

Walter Schulz

Sweet!

To deinstall cam's bootflag you have to run ML installation and wait for 60 seconds.

WaltherL

You mean normally or do I need to do that now?

Walter Schulz

If you don't want to deal with ML in the near future: Do it now. Deletes one or two issues with card handling. Optional issues, though.

WaltherL

Well, I do want to start with ML one day, perhaps not now, but most likely in the near future.

Walter Schulz

No problem.

The issues are:
- If you insert a microSD-to-SD adapter without microSD (or a card not connected well) cam will stall at startup without error message. Plain Canon will throw an error message.
- Cam will stall when used with incompatible cards. Some first gen Eye-Fi card type is affected.
- If a ML enabled cam prepared for a different firmware version (= any other cam and M firmware different to 2.0.2) is used cam will throw an error message.
- If you insert a bootable card without autoexec.bin cam will stall without error message.
- Cam will access card at startup, shutdown and recovery from powersave. The difference may be small, though.