Bricked 1300D?

Started by epimeison, July 31, 2022, 10:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epimeison

I think I have hard bricked mine a few days ago.. no blinking led, no nothing. I was shooting pictures in dualiso, then I enabled the raw video just to test, set a low resolution for it.. screen froze, and camera died.

Walter Schulz

Moved topic here

First test:
Remove battery, remove card.
insert battery, do not insert card. Try to startup. Report result.

epimeison

I did that. Nothing happend. The camera recives electricity from the battery, because with an stm lens, I can operate the focus, even if I turn it off.. for wich I have to remove the battery. But nothing else happens. No led blink, no display, nothing.

Walter Schulz

Rename autoexec.bin.
Copy Portable Display Test autoexec.bin to card. Remove battery, insert card, insert battery and close compartment door.
Link to diagnostic autoexec.bin

epimeison

Done. Turning the camera on doesn't do anything.

Walter Schulz

Are you using Windows or macOS on your PC? Remove battery and card. Insert card to PC/cardreader.
On Windows run EOScard with admin permissions and check if strings "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTFLAG" are set. If not check both boxes and press "SAVE". Ignore error messages.
On macOS use macboot.

Retry and report back.

epimeison

Done (I'm sure I've done it before). Same result: not a thing.
BTW, I'm a Linux user, but for this I'm using Windows.

Walter Schulz

Got it.
I can partly reproduce behaviour with STM and ML enabled cam. If I insert a microSD adapter without microSD inserted cam will get stuck at a very early stage. STM focus will react even if power switched to off.
This is gonna be interesting. This week we unbricked a stuck 7D ...
Before we switch to Discord and some interactive sessions:
- May I ask if you can open/remove cam's thumb rest rubber cover beginning on top? There will be a rectangular hole (long side horizontal). Is there a white connector visible? If not: Can you peep inside and are there 6 rectangular pads?
- Have you experience with UART devices?

epimeison

Ok.. So I've removed the rubber cover, and there's no white connector, but I can see the 6 rectangular pads.
I have no experience with UART devices (just searched what it was).

kitor

Where are you from?
If EU and willing to ship it, I can take a look.

Do you have rom backups stored from card?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.