Can someone donate a 100D for implementation of the latest ML developments?

Started by IDA_ML, September 25, 2021, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

Great, im glad we were able to reach the goal and cam is in your hands  8)

theBilalFakhouri

Thank you guys!

Quote from: heder on June 02, 2022, 06:50:49 PM
... and also nice to see that the ML community was willing to spend the money on this.

Yeah, I am actually surprised a bit that we reached the goal, and that was done for 2013 a model :) , I think donors were like this:

1- Actual 100D users who are interested.
2- Users who liked the idea and helped. (most donors?)
3- Users want to support ML in general.

So there are people who doesn't have a direct interest for 100D itself, but they saw a help was needed and probably felt comfortable and liked the idea and was able to offer their help (thank you).

-I think if you want to work on one of the new cams which is above ~800€ pricing point, ML community might help you as well with the remaining amount, I would like to do that myself.

@Skinny, @ilia3101,
Okay okay okay, let's see:

Skinny talks about unfinished work for 5D2 especially 1x3 modes.

ilia3101 Says "one can never have enough cameras" :P

@names_are_hard: Buy Bilal a 5d2 and he might try it

@theBilalFakhouri: And I use this card as response to your requests:

--> Can someone donate a 5D2 for implementation of the latest ML developments?  :P

Sorry, but actually I can consider this, to be discussed after I finish working on the 100D.

I like doing the easy tasks, like the 100D thing, and other things like:

-Complete porting EOS M2 (if it's not yet finished).
-Port 4000D or 2000D.
-Playing with old DIGIC 4 like 600D (increasing RAW video resolution for time-lapses)
-Port high resolution presets and 1x3 modes in clean easy way to 5D2, also playing with preview thing (might be easier than 5D3)

After reading in TwoInTwoOutLosslessPath thread, unfortunately there was unsuccessful attempts to port lossless compression on DIGIC 4 done by a1ex and Greg (attempts done on 60D, 500D), no idea if this would be possible (a1ex and Greg might not have tried too hard). Currently I don't think I can do better thing regarding lossless on DIGIC 4.

I forgot that today is Friday here which is the weekend, so today transportation sucks with less traffic. I am still away from home, hopefully until tomorrow.

Skinny

Congtats on 100D! that was quick! by the way it shows that there is a lot of people interested in ML progress.

About 5d2 and other stuff... I would gladly donate if I was not completely broke now, I have no job. That's why I'm using a PC from 2007.. But I hope things will change.. I really like all ML related stuff and even thought about donation for your 100D. well, I will donate in the future, obviously.

reddeercity said (somewhere in this thread https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.0) he almost enabled lossless compression on D4, and like it's definitely possible, he got 50D because it was easier to do it there or something like that. but after some computer problems (he lost his files) seems like he abandoned the project or maybe just paused it for indefinite amount of time.

2blackbar

Hey id definitely donate for 5d2 as i have one and development stopped since few years
These cams are not that expensive now, you can get one for about £250 about 300$

theBilalFakhouri

News News: I got back to home, made some tries on 100D with 4.3K 1x3 preset with real-time preview and it appears to work after some tweaking :)
Currently I need to rest, I might provide a test build tomorrow.

Thanks @Skinny
I hope things will get better for you soon! the real life is much more important than a camera donation, I already appreciate your intention to help :), and that's enough for me.
Will check lossless later, I think on 60D it was working in silent pic, but the output was not decoded.

Thanks @2blackbar
Will discuss 5D2 thing in separate thread after I finish working on 100D, I will need to know what 5D2 users are looking for, and either if I can actually do it or not.
No idea how much it cost here, it's too early to talk about it right now.

Skinny

@theBilalFakhouri thanks!
Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 04, 2022, 05:05:59 PM
News News: I got back to home, made some tries on 100D with 4.3K 1x3 preset with real-time preview and it appears to work after some tweaking :)
already?? wow. you really work fast... what's the write speed?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Skinny on June 04, 2022, 08:45:02 PM
.. already?? wow. you really work fast... what's the write speed?

Thanks, actually porting the latest achievements to 100D is one of the easiest task because of huge similarities to 700D, and this was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Porting process might be finished in few days if there are no surprises, but I have already noticed some surprises :P I will need to dig a little.

You mean SD card write speed?
During my tests 240 MHz overclock didn't work using Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 170 MB/s card, but 192 MHz does work.
on 95 MB/s version both 192 MHz and 240 MHz didn't work.

In future I might dig into SD overclocking again, and compare 100D against 700D and see what is the difference (on 700D 240MHz works flawlessly using Sandisk 170 MB/s version)

theBilalFakhouri

News News: Build posted in Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 100D / SL1. Please read everything which has written, also the the references to other threads.

Following up this:
Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 02, 2022, 05:09:01 PM
Will post the remaining USDT balance soon (will share traveling cost details too), I might buy an AC adapter or another battery for 100D with the remaining balance.

-Traveling cost details:

1 USDT = 4000 S.P
Remaining balance was: 44,000 S.P = 11 USDT

Traveling cost (transporations):

500 MB 4G data pack:                               4500 S.P (Needs it to stay connected, contacting the seller, viewing Google Maps)

Latakia ticket (from Hama):                       3000 S.P (Me)
Latakia ticket (from Al-Qadmous):              1500 S.P (My friend, I asked him to come, it's better to not go alone)
Green Bus (two tickes):                               400 S.P (from Latakia Garage to meeting point with the seller)
Taxi in Latakia:                                          4000 S.P (back to Latakia Garage from meeting point, time was limited)
Two tickets from Latakia to Al-Qadmous:     3000 S.P (Me and friend)
Ticket Latakia to Massyaf:                            500 S.P (Me)
Massyaf to Hama:                                       700 S.P (Me)

Total:                                                     17,600 = 4.4 USDT spent.
Remaining balance:                                 26,400 = 6.6 USDT
                                                                          + 24    USDT on Bitbns (still there, will use the remaining balance for another battery or AC adapter) 

-Why I am posting all of these with details?
-For the ultimate transparency, you have the right to know where your USDT was spent. For donors: feel free to ask any question regarding how USDT was spent if something wasn't clear to you.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 02, 2022, 05:09:01 PM
I have limited time in the coming ten days, ..

I have to stop for now, will be back around 12th of this month.

theBilalFakhouri

New build is up, here.
Will stop posting build updates here, please check Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 100D / SL1 for future build updates.

I hope IDA_ML is doing ok (he is being offline since April 25), he started this topic in the first place, and he probably isn't aware of these new updates for 100D.
Where are you man, you are a good build tester :)

theBilalFakhouri

Not yet, but I can upload it (will post a link soon, stay tuned), I thought no one would be interested in the current state :P (I didn't commit the changes yet, just modified .c files, you can see them by opening the reop with SourceTree).

Edit: here you go magic-lantern-bilal-100d (15-6-2022).7z.

I didn't upload it because I was thinking to re-write the current code for 650D/700D builds (beside 100D when I finish porting it) and make it cleaner with more comments, and I will use the Github ML repo, so I can push the code directly, and all commits would be there. I failed to convert my current repo to git.

Danne

I could check some in my build  8).If I get some time ;).
Good work man!

theBilalFakhouri

Hello again,

Quote from: Skinny on June 03, 2022, 01:20:46 PM
reddeercity said (somewhere in this thread https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.0) he almost enabled lossless compression on D4, and like it's definitely possible, he got 50D because it was easier to do it there or something like that. but after some computer problems (he lost his files) seems like he abandoned the project or maybe just paused it for indefinite amount of time.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 04, 2022, 05:05:59 PM
Will check lossless later..

I read through 3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams for lossless compression stuff on 5D2, current state camera freezes after calling lossless --> In that state I don't think 5D2 was close to lossless (also I don't think it's too far), but it seems Greg's work on 500D was closer . . alex didn't say much about 60D, but he mentioned he didn't try too hard (he might thought of some experiments to do on 60D).

Still, lossless compression on DIGIC 4 is a black box, from previous experiments (in particular 500D and 60D), we don't know how bad lossless conflicts with LiveView, it could be there a workaround --> more experiments are needed, these notes might help too.

I might request some LOGS from some DIGIC 4 models, and provide some *tests (don't hold your breath please), I think we have 550D/5D2 testers (Skinny and 2blackbar), do we have other testers for other D4 models, like 7D and 600D?
*First, I need to check which branch compiles and works for DIGIC 4 for compressed raw (lossless) tests.