500D/60D are not complete turned off when camera is turned off

Started by martin87, July 03, 2022, 02:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin87

I got Canon 500D and 60D with magic latern installed. Often camera after turn off is not compete off and draining battery when is turned off. On 60D sometimes even up lcd is on, but no settings can be change when camera is off.

Is it bug or some settings in my configuration ML?

Walter Schulz

There were myriads of claims about ML draining battery while camera is turned off.
Other than issues with intervalometer: None was reproduceable.

Saying that: Make sure to have intervalometer turned off and check again.
ML may drain battery if shutdown was interrupted in some way. Make sure to have a proper shutdown before removing card.

martin87

this option is off. I always turned off then remove SD.

names_are_hard

Some camera peripherals drain battery even when cam is "off"; I have a lens adapter that does this.  Sometimes, ML can crash on camera shutdown and still be using power.  I would expect this to be rare on 500D and 60D.

There is a test you can run that may help.  Turn cam off, remove card, remove battery, replace battery; leave cam off.  If the battery still drains, it is definitely not ML causing it.

ArcziPL

Quote from: martin87 on July 05, 2022, 01:35:22 PM
this option is off. I always turned off then remove SD.
Power-down always takes a while. Do not remove SD card slot until LED indicator stops blinking (it might take ~5 seconds). Might be that you removed the card to quickly?
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Walter Schulz

Some detail about what ArcziPL wrote: After you open SD-card compartment ML enabled cameras will access card ... and that happens regardless of power switch position! If you are too hasty removing a card you may interrupt this procedure.

ArcziPL

Right, that was it! After opening the card door, wait few seconds until the LED goes off and only then remove the the card. This applies also when the camera is off!
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

martin87

I just turn off without removing card often it will be draining battery until battery was down. It's standard lens canon ef 50mm 1.8 stm. Always I waiting few second before remove card and SD. Now I just remove battery always when I not using camera now.

kitor

I'm missing info what build are you using on those cameras. The fact that top LCD stays on is indicative of some crash/assert on shutdown, or hardware malfunction.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

martin87