Kachin conflict shot with 60D and ML - For The Guardian

Started by AriLG, September 10, 2012, 08:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AriLG

THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO

I just wanted to bring it forward to your awareness :

VIDEO JOURNALIST PETE PATTISSON FILMS THE CONFLICT IN KACHIN STATE (BURMA) FOR THE GUARDIAN ON A CANON 60D

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/09/09/video-journalist-pete-pattisson-films-the-kachin-conflict-in-burma-for-the-guardian-on-a-canon-60d/

QuoteI am a full-time teacher, and a part-time video journalist – partly because I love teaching, and partly because I haven't yet figured out a way to make a living from video journalism. For the past eight years I've spent my school holidays photographing and filming stories that I think are important and inspiring, including a global project on modern forms of slavery. Film-making, for me, is really about opening people's eyes to a story I think the world needs to know about.....

I had always used a traditional video camera, most recently a JVC GY-HM100, but for this trip I wanted to try shooting with a DSLR, largely because of its stunning image. The key for me was to keep my gear light and discreet – I've never quite seen the point of buying a DSLR for filming, and then pimping it until it looks, weighs and costs as much as a top end camera. So I bought a Canon 60D, because its articulated screen meant I didn't feel the need for an external monitor. It also uses the same memory cards as the JVC, so I could interchange them as necessary. I also installed Magic Lantern software, which meant I could keep the audio set-up simple. For interviews I just turned off the AGC, turned up the manual audio gain as high as it would go, and recorded directly into the camera with a lavalier microphone.

There you have it.... ML "in the (battle) field"

Cheers

T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

Francis Frenkel

Thank you so much to give me ( and us) the opportunity to discover this documentary on a country I love.

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

bart