Canon 5D3v123 mlv_snd enabled and audio meters showing but no sound in clip

Started by thehokemon, June 15, 2022, 10:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehokemon

Hi team,

I'm using a 5D3 with the magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.5D3123 build. I have enabled mlv_rec and mlv_snd. Everything looks to be fine in camera. The audio level meters are showing and are displaying the audio levels in real time.

BUT, when I record there is no sound written to the .mlv files. This worked just last week, but for some reason it has stopped. I have uninstalled ML, reformatted the cards, reinstalled a fresh version of ML and made new settings, etc., but no dice.

When I run the camera without ML, the audio track is baked into the .mov file. No issues.

Any suggestions? Not having audio will really add some work in post to sync the scratch audio with the production sound. I would also like to attach an external mic to the camera to record production sound right to the footage.

Very strange that it was working before. The only thing that changed was plugging an external powered mic into the camera. Then it seemed to stop writing audio, but shows the meters.
5D MKIII and 7D MK1 • Into photography since 2007

theBilalFakhouri

Hello,

I don't know what is causing this, but my suggestion to use a build from another branch which is crop_rec_4k branch which has lossless compression (saves half of CF card space), you can find it here:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Under "4K raw video recording; lossless compression", Direct download link:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/crop_rec_4k/80/artifact/platform/5D3.123/magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123.zip

Load mlv_lite.mo and mlv_snd.mo, and make a try with this build.

thehokemon

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 15, 2022, 10:43:06 PM
Hello,

I don't know what is causing this, but my suggestion to use a build from another branch which is crop_rec_4k branch which has lossless compression (saves half of CF card space), you can find it here:

Under "4K raw video recording; lossless compression", Direct download link:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/crop_rec_4k/80/artifact/platform/5D3.123/magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3123.zip

Load mlv_lite.mo and mlv_snd.mo, and make a try with this build.

Thank you! That works with both the internal camera mic and the external. Looks like the bitrate is around 2.7GB/minute of footage at 1080p24. I really like the idea of getting twice as much footage on a card compared to the RAW uncompressed. Might be able to crank the resolution up as well. Using a decently fast card.

Appreciate the help! I will test this build more thoroughly and likely stick with it.

Cheers!

thehokemon

I did a test today with this new build and recorded a single 45-minute take before the 128GB card was full (14-bit lossless compression, 1080p24). Camera just touched 50ºC for a couple minutes but otherwise stayed below this threshold using a dummy battery.

Gotta like it. 

thehokemon

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 17, 2022, 11:47:34 AM
Cool :)

Good luck with ML!

Thank you! The image you can get out of this camera with it is unbelievable for the price!