Started by theBilalFakhouri, June 06, 2022, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 06, 2022, 12:50:10 AM
-What's not working:

SD Overclocking:
During my tests 192 MHz SD overclock will only work with Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 170 MB/s version, and it seems stable.

240 MHz doesn't work even when using Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 170 MB/s.
Both 192 MHz and 240 MHz don't work when using Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 95MB/s.

New sd_uhs update:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26634.msg240128#msg240128

State:
240 MHz does work to some point using Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 170 MB/s.
192 MHz now works on my Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 95MB/s.

GianlucaM83

First of all, thank you Bilal and everyone who contributed to make this new module free for everyone  :)
I did a bench with my new sd card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s U3.
Seems that it can handle the 192 MHz preset correctly, instead with the 240 MHz preset it drops to 20MB/s.
Before this update, the same SD only worked with the 168 MHz preset. So this seems like a huge improvement to me.
Later I will also try it with my old  Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 95MB/s
Thanks again!

Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s U3: New sd_hs module.192MHz preset:

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: GianlucaM83 on September 10, 2022, 09:44:08 AM
I did a bench with my new sd card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s U3.
Seems that it can handle the 192 MHz preset correctly, instead with the 240 MHz preset it drops to 20MB/s.
Before this update, the same SD only worked with the 168 MHz preset. So this seems like a huge improvement to me.

Cool, what is your card capacity for Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s U3?

GianlucaM83

SebastianC

My 100D 3K can record more than 20-30seconds now with new 240 MHz.

Before I just only can record less than 5-10 seconds.

Good job Bilal!
Thank you for your work!
:)

theBilalFakhouri

Another better 240 MHz for 100D:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26634.msg240328#msg240328

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 15, 2022, 08:28:05 AM
-It works better at high temps using my Sandisk 170 MB/s and 100D, it didn't drop to 21 MB/s after 5 minuets of recording :D
-SDR104 patch which required to enable high OC for some cards now works with the newest 240 MHz preset, and it's stable

GianlucaM83

I did a bench with the newest_sd_uhs_SDR104_patchmodule.
The 240 MHz preset now works on my SD as well  8)
Thanks!

This is the result:
240 MHz Preset
Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s U3 64GB

Write speed: 83.7 MB/s
Read speed:  85.7 MB/s
Write speed: 83.5 MB/s
Read speed:  85.7 MB/s

Walter Schulz

@Bilal: 10 MByte/s less than rest of the bunch? Did you get simiiar results?

theBilalFakhouri

@GianlucaM83 Awesome, thanks for the test!

@Walter
Yeah it seems a little slow at 240 MHz (but still higher than 192 MHz), for me I can get up to ~90 MB/s using my 170 MB/s SD card on 100D (same on 700D, my SD card limit is ~90 MB/s).

bench0" border="0

@GianlucaM83
Your SD card should perform around ~90 MB/s (or a little higher) with 240 MHz. I suggest to run benchmarks with fast card reader on PC.

GianlucaM83

I did a beanchmark of my SD card on my PC as you suggested. I used My Kingston FCR-HS4 card reader which is usb 3.0, connected directly to a usb 3.0 port on the motherboard.
I used the CrystalDiskMark program with the default settings and the aja system software. Unfortunately, I do not know any other softwares.
These are the results:

what do you think about these results, do you think they are in the normal range for my SD?

Walter Schulz

Yes, they are.
Your Kingston FCR-HS4 (as mine) does not know anything about overclocking and runs pure UHS-I protocols as specified by SD Card Association. Means: UHS-104 is the limit.
You can compare your numbers with https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-170mbs-uhs-i-u3-v30-64gb-sdxc-memory-card/
In this test all cardreaders but one are running non-proprietary transfer modes. The only one using overclocking stands out.

Maybe Bilal can get behind it.

GianlucaM83

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 16, 2022, 10:28:36 AM
Yes, they are.
Your Kingston FCR-HS4 (as mine) does not know anything about overclocking and runs pure UHS-I protocols as specified by SD Card Association. Means: UHS-104 is the limit.
You can compare your numbers with https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-170mbs-uhs-i-u3-v30-64gb-sdxc-memory-card/
In this test all cardreaders but one are running non-proprietary transfer modes. The only one using overclocking stands out.
Thanks Walter Schulz for the explanation  :)

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for the benchmarks.

I don't always trust CrystalDiskMark benchmarks (at least for fake SD cards), it wasn't really accurate when I bought fake Sandisk Extreme PRO 170 MB/s SD cards.
The other software (AJA) benchmark seems closer in term of write speed benchmarks compared to camera benchmark. Of course ignore read benchmarks (because we are using 192 MHz for reads on 100D when using 240 MHz).

Could you also test with Black Magic Disk Speed Test? Here is a download link from my Google Drive (I don't know where is the official download link)

GianlucaM83

I did a test with Disk Speed Test.
Write speed is 85.5 MB/s

Skinny

@theBilalFakhouri congrats with new achievements, cool stuff guys! Do 300mhz, why stop at 280 :D
@GianlucaM83 nice virus ti :) I can see a lot of musicians here on ML forum for some reason :o

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Skinny on September 16, 2022, 08:35:02 PM
Do 300mhz, why stop at 280 :D

Because next stop is not 300 but 384 and that is a tough call.

theBilalFakhouri

@GianlucaM83
Thanks for the benchmarks, your SD card is doing on average (88 + 82 + 85.5) / 3 = ~85 MB/s which is close to 83.7 MB/s from camera.
If we exclude CrystalDiskMark, (82 + 85.5) / 2 = 83.7 MB/s. Well, I don't think this is an accurate way to do measurements, also because SD card frequency is unknown using PC card reader.

Last suggested test:
Perform low level format in camera, do benchmarks in Play mode at 240 MHz.

But anyway, in all cases 240 MHz is working fine here, the slower write speed in 240 MHz could be from your SD card or your 100D.
The only accurate way to verify is to test another Sandisk 170 MB/s SD card on your 100D and test your current Sandisk 170 MB/s SD card on other DIGIC 5 model at 240 MHz.

theBilalFakhouri

@Skinny

Thank you!

Yeah as Walter said, other frequencies above 240 MHz are 280 MHz and 384 MHz. Will double check later if we can select something among 280-384 MHz range.
We are so lucky that our Canon cameras (DIGIC 5 models) from ~10 years ago support unofficial UHS-I speeds! Impressive work Canon ;D

Well, I must get 280 MHz stable (if possible) then think about higher than 280 MHz frequencies possibilities.

theBilalFakhouri

Next plans for 100D port:

At current stage I think I got most things from my 650D / 700D port to 100D, main things were:

-Crop mode (crop_rec) presets
-New hacks for RAW video
-And recently 240 MHz SD overclocking
-Memory allocation fix for high resolutions
-And other things

I need to check HDMI state too for some crop mode presets.

Remaining thing is Crop mode V2 (crop_new) module, more likely I will not port it. on 700D it's still confuse users, also the module isn't 100% stable (causes corrupted frames at some settings).
My alternative idea for this is to make more stable presets for Crop mode (crop_rec). Will discuss later what new presets to include in crop_rec, it will be something like more Time-Lapse modes and high frame rate modes.

Well, I might give crop_new a try on 100D.

100D users: feel free to give suggestions, your opinions and to discuss. please don't ask for new features, only if it related to my 650D / 700D port.

thatguyjay

Hey guys, I'm a noob poking into this subject matter. I had an SL1 in my closet and just heard about all this RAW shooting capability added. Thank you for all your work on this. I can't seem to get my settings to work optimally and I thought I could use some advice.

I installed the latest build I could find: crop_rec_4k.2022Jul04.100D101_ADTG

I'm using a 128GB SD card like the one in the pic above: Sandisk Extreme Pro

I was only able to find one setting that worked to record more than 5 seconds before buffering/crashing the camera or showing pink stripes in LiveView: 1280x720 10-bit.

I also tried turning on crop mode but that seemed to be an additional X factor.

I guess there are some modes that work and some that don't and it has to do with the speed of the SD card? Any advice on recommended settings that will get me to at least UHD would be very helpful.

I'm trying to get to at least 1920x1080 to use this as a B camera with some interviews IDK if I'll have an answer by then, but I'm shooting Monday. I would be happy to support development on the SL1 if it would help get us over the finish line for this camera's capabilities.

soundfan

Dear all,

first of all thank you for creating such incredible additional value to the Canon cameras! This is fantastic.

Although I'm completely new to this, I managed to successfully install ML, update it with this crop_rec build from June 19th (is this the latest, recommended build?), tune the speed of my SD card by overlocking to 85MB/s write speed (Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 200MB/s @240MHz, thanks to the latest sd_uhs update).

What I still don't understand is how to achieve the maximum resolution for RAW videos. No sound needed and also low frame rates are acceptable for me (astro photography). But many crop settings result in slow camera response, corrupted live view, reduced field of view and even freeze the camera.
Sometimes a mode seems to work, I can access higher resolutions and make continuous video. The next time I try to do the same it says max resolution limited to xy, no matter what I try.

Is there a tutorial for dummies like me on how to set up the camera correctly for high res raw videos? I'm quite sure it is all about the right settings or sequence of setting options to make this work.

I really tried to read through the forum and go deeper into each thread that seems to point into the right direction, but with many threads having >50 pages of answers it is kind of hopeless.

Of cause I tried the forum search as well, but either my problems are kind of unique (which I doubt) or I searched for the wrong key words.

Can someone point me into the right direction, please?

Best regards,

Mike
EOS 100D... just beginning

Walter Schulz

Quote from: soundfan on February 22, 2023, 03:50:40 PM
Sometimes a mode seems to work, I can access higher resolutions and make continuous video. The next time I try to do the same it says max resolution limited to xy, no matter what I try.

https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#raw_mlvcan_t_set_resolution_to_full-hd1920_is_not_possible_in_current_video_mode_max_1728

soundfan

Thanks for the lightning fast reply, Walter.

The Wiki I read of cause but as I understand it this is the way to (slightly) higher resolutions in the original ML nightly build, right? This is also limited to max 2520.

Beside that it records only 2 seconds now, although my SD supports up to 85MB/s @240MHz. Is the higher write rate only supported in the experimental crop mode?

I was trying to do 4K recording with the crop_rec module. And this caused the problems mentioned before.

Also I recognized that the camera heats up very fast when testing with live view and playing with the ML menu. Is that normal?

soundfan

Well, I think I solved the riddle. For sure I read the introducing post of Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i) ten times but didn't pay attention to the probably most important sentence of all:

QuoteGeneral notes:
-You can load both crop_rec and crop_new modules, but don't activate them at the same time (use "Crop mode" or "Crop mode V2").
-Use maximum aspect ratio and and resolution from mlv_lite when using crop_rec presets with real-time correct preview, otherwise mlv_lite won't crop the RAW data correctly.

With this pre-settings everything works now as expected.

Only thing I recognized is that write speed is only stable as long as camera temp is below ~45°C. Beyond that anything can happen. Now that I don't need to try 'n error for hours anymore I guess that overheating will no longer be an issue.

I was sure that the solution was lieing right in front of me and I was just too blind to see...  ::)

Thanks anyway for the great work.