[CAN'T REPRODUCE] Video stops first time (550D)

Started by ItsMeLenny, September 10, 2012, 03:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

I've been getting a problem on my 550d. When I switch the camera on and record video, it records for a couple of seconds then says that it's automatically stopped recording. Then when I hit record again it works. I'm not sure what's going on with that initial first recording.

JRGriffin

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on September 10, 2012, 03:04:29 AM
I've been getting a problem on my 550d. When I switch the camera on and record video, it records for a couple of seconds then says that it's automatically stopped recording. Then when I hit record again it works. I'm not sure what's going on with that initial first recording.

I have noticed  the same thing on my T3i, when I start the movie recording I will get a 3 sec video, and because I have the movie restart turned on the movie will restart automatically and on the second time it will stay on. This does not happen every time though, I have been trying to isolate the cause and have not as of yet.
Canon T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55, Canon 75-300 III, Magic Lantern 2.3

deleted.account

Yes, same here on a T2i with 2.3 everytime I first swith on, the first recording stops a second or two.
1.3x CBR on a high speed Sandisk Extreme, very rarely did a recording stop at 1.3x CBR prior to 2.3

a1ex

Malcolm Debono

I do experience this issue every now and then, but I thought that it was because I started recording shortly after turning the camera on (maybe tasks are still loading or something). Again, it doesn't happen every time, so not sure what's causing it.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

3pointedit

Same issue on my 550D, after installing last official release. I had auto restart on so I didn't notice it the first time (until I looked at the files on the PC).
550D on ML-roids

1%

Happens sometimes. Audio on or off? Probably more related to SD card than ML. Maybe SD isn't ready. Doesn't happen to me as often now that I've tweaked the encoder and got a faster card. If it happens every single time, something is wrong... i.e BR too high, card too slow, scene too complex.

Doubt there is much ML can do about it. If you're filming start the camera a little early to make sure it keeps going before giving camera speed. If you're doing events, turn restart on.

ItsMeLenny

I've guessed the same thing about maybe it's because it's when one records quickly after the camera is turned on.
I'll play around with leaving the camera on for a few more seconds before I try to record.
All my settings are pretty standard, as in; no fps override, no hdr, no exp override, no bit rate override, iso auto, white balance custom, global draw was on (and it happened with and without focus peak).

ItsMeLenny

I tried this again even having the camera on for a short period, still happens.

guru

It happens to me every time I change the battery (I use several third party ones), sometimes two or three times in a row, and it is really annoying.

a1ex

Some things to try:
- global draw off
- config autosave off
- clear ML config
- turn off everything you can

I can't reproduce, even on my class 2 card.

Filmugamyba

My both 60D cameras also stop the fist time I start recording after changing a battery.  This happens in 90% of cases.

Gilpin

I've had this problem on my 550D, but it is not a Magic Lantern problem, and it doesn't matter how long you have the camera on for.

I has to do with the speed of your SD card - not all SD cards are created equal.  You will find slower cards (like class 6) can work fine for a time, but then they can stop working and need a full reformat to be useable again to shoot vid.

I had a couple of cards that would stop shooting after 5 seconds, and some that would work fine.  Reformatting the ones that were not working sorted them out.  This was all prior to me using ML.

I now use class 10 cards and have not had a repeat of the problem (for over a year now). If your cards used to work and they no longer do, a low level reformat should fix them up (you will have to reinstall ML on those cards obviously).

Hope this helps.

ItsMeLenny

I think that solved the problem! Thanks Gilpin.
Great spotting. I'll continue to test and see if it happens again.
But it seemed like it worked fine so far.
Thanks again.

Met Hrovat

Well I use class 10 cards on my T2i and I am constantly getting the "video stopped recording automatically" issue.
First I thought it's hot weather and over heating problem,.. and that together with battery grip somehow adding to heat issue. But I get this in cold weather as well.
This is a pain in any case,.. but it's particularly bad when you are shooting your self since you talk for 5 minutes and then find out that video has stopped recording after 20 seconds.

Any other new ideas?

redrabbit

Same to me here - every (!) first time after changing the battery the recording stops. Any news on that issue?

a1ex

Try the card warm up option in raw video. Does it help?

(yes, with h264)