Pop Photo and Camera Damage ?

Started by JumboShrimp, September 10, 2012, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JumboShrimp

The new issue of Pop Photo (October 2012, top of p. 98, "Don't Go There"), highly discourages installation of third party software, as it may seriously damage your camera. I have just become aware of ML and was considering installation on my 5D2, but no longer. What is ML's take on this? What if ML software DOES damage the camera, then what? Do they repair it free of charge? Kinda makes me nervous, to say the least. Any comments?

ilguercio

Theoretically it can kill your camera, yes.
This question has been answered several times and the only thing you are going to get as replies are users happy with ML.
Nobody takes responsibility is something bad happens but the developing team is always here to give a hand in case something goes wrong (that doesn't involve user errors or lack of reading of the manual) .
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

Quotehighly discourages installation of third party software

Most people can't handle 3rd party software or even OEM software. They don't want to understand how the device/software works and then wonder where their files went after a format or why the device doesn't work after being hit with a hammer and thrown in the ocean.

Malcolm Debono

+1 to everything posted above  :)  Do read the links Alex posted as they contain some useful info which should help you make a decision.

One thing that I want to add is that if you go through some of the problems posted on this forum, you will notice that most issues arise from user error (such as not reading the instructions properly, or at all).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

JumboShrimp

Thanks. Having read most of the issues, I understand the situation.