Why is my footage so terrible and noisy??

Started by mojojojo, May 30, 2022, 08:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojojojo

Hey there. I'm new to videography and ML. This footage was shot with a helios 44-2 and viltrox speed booster/ 300 iso, nearly wide open, 2.8k raw, 12 bit. Exposure was done correctly, right in the center of the histogram and utilized zebras. I think there must be some weird camera setting but I cant figure out what I did wrong! Why so noisy? It was actually much worse but in MLV app I did chroma smooth, fix focus pixel dots, RBF denoise chroma to 100 and RBF denoise Range at 100.. Any help is much appreciated thank you..  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmeVB7R4p8

(btw I used slog 3 on the output and only slight grading in premier so it's a bit flat)

Skinny

I think it will be more helpful if you share just 1 frame of the original MLV file, in mlv format (raw). you can exprot just one frame with MLV App. Because it is hard to say anything with already processed footage, especially uploaded to youtube...

tupp

Quote from: mojojojo on May 30, 2022, 08:02:24 AM
... 2.8k raw, 12 bit. Exposure was done correctly, right in the center of the histogram and utilized zebras.
As was suggested in the Reddit thread, a little ETTR ("Expose To The Right" side of the histogram) helps -- don't expose to the center of the histogram.

ETTR works especially well when shooting raw in a higher bit depth.  You can really push things far to the right side with raw, as long as nothing clips (or as long as any clipping is kept to an acceptable amount).  ETTR doesn't work as well with compressed codecs, but one can do it a little, perhaps a stop or two to the right.

Imagine that the noise is a vertical band on the left end of the histogram.  Any detail that you would like to see without noise should lie to the right side of that noise band.

Additionally, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a little more contrast in grading your footage.  That would make it look more "snappy."  One way to add contrast In MLVapp, is to use the Gradation Curve in the processing tab.   Boost the right side of the Gradation Curve and lower the left side of the curve to taste.

By the way, the noise isn't too apparent, likely due to the denoise and the other processing you did in MLVapp.

Levas

Grain noise looks very clean, almost like added film grain effect.

Just like Skinny told, upload one of the noisy MLV files (google drive or something else), or just one frame off them, then we can take a look at the original.
Can't tell much about a processed file.

Doesn't look like normal noise to me but something added in post in software  ???