Bricked Canon EOS M

Started by unluckyone, April 08, 2022, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unluckyone

Hi all, it seems I have bricked my little Canon EOS M...
I have tried to remove the SD card and use a brand new one / without one and the result is the same.
- Without SD Card the LCD Lights light up but nothing is displayed (black screen) the led is flashing green constantly.
- With SD Card with Magic lantern = as soon as I close the Battery slot, the led goes constant orange but the screen doesn't light up ( if i press the power the LED will flash green and orange for a about 3s and then stays orange).
- I tried to put the startuplog autoexec, however it didn't output anything ( if i am not mistaken i should have seen it under LOGS, but is not there )

The "kinda" good news is that, when i tried to get the startup log, i incorrect put for 100d ... anddddd it actually displayed Magic Lantern warning saying the model is not what is expected on the screen. However, if I put the correct startuplog autoexec it will go into the constant orange led that i described above.

Does anyone have any guidance on how I might be able to get out of this situation or get more info on what the issue might be :-\

Walter Schulz

If possible use full-scale SDcards and not microSD with adapter. ML will react poorly if there are problems with adapter itself.

Remove battery. Remove card. Insert battery and close compartment doors. Try to power-up camera. Report results and LED activity.

Remove battery. Use a spare card and format it using cardreader in PC. Insert card. Insert battery and close compartment doors. Try to power-up cam. Report results and LED activity.

Remove battery. Use ML enabled card and insert it. Insert battery. Try to power-up cam. Report results and LED activity.

tabbynoodles

This probably the same issue as mine.
The diagnostics works and you can dump the roms and such. You can turn on the camera without sd card but you will receive an ERR 70.

I have researched this problem is the VIDEO_PROP mode corrupted and EOSM is lazy to fix it. There's a fix but @a1ex only knows it. I am still waiting for the response that will be the fix that. It is been a year long now.

theBilalFakhouri

@tabbynoodles

Mind PM me your latest ROM files, the ones which dumped with your broken EOS M using *Rom Dumper* as you mentioned here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26273.msg237054#msg237054

I imagine the fix would be one of these:
1- Calling PROP_VIDEO_MODE and request property change to valid values. we need to check if calling it outside video mode would be valid.
2- Calling the function which restore default canon settings (didn't dig into it). usually you can do it from Canon menu.

I once soft bricked my 700D using PROP_VIDEO_MODE, I called it with invalid values and I got ERR70 every time I booted the camera. But iirc when I removed the SD card (which was contain ML build) and turned on the camera in photo mode (none-LiveView), I was able to enter Canon menu and clear the settings and the problem was resolved.

Probably won't work because EOS M doesn't have viewfinder, LiveView would be always active when powering on the camera?