Canon 5D Mark 2 err70 on entering LV and sometimes after taking a picture

Started by Bernandelli, March 06, 2022, 11:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernandelli

I dont think this err70 is due to ML, but anyways I would really appreciate help from someone higher up, since I dont have much experience in reverse engineering. I have all log and crash files from ML. It seems as if there is some kind of problem with some memory, LV wont show up in any condition without freezing and throwing err70, but i can take photos and also sometimes i get err70, and image is not saved on memory card. I use SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB.

kitor

Simple checks to perform:
- are all pins straight in CF card socket?
- does it crash with other cards?
- does it crash with other lens?
- does it crash without lens attached?
- what is the shutter count?
- have you tried to re-install Canon firmware? (run upgrade to the same version you have)

You can upload crash log, but ERR70 in Canon world is basically a 'catch all' statement which means 'something went very wrong'.

Symptoms for me suggests that shutter (or mirror assembly) is dying.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Bernandelli

Thank you for the answer, turns out after some fiddling with flex cables, I replaced the motherboard with another from different 5D2 again, nothing happened different from original PCB, and after I returned it's PCB everything was OK, i took around 50 pictures without an issue, and even i have recorded a video! But later today, when I tried to make another photo, ERR30 appeared for the first time, and it appears as soon as I take a photo; front curtain won't move. Photo is saved on the card, but of course everything is black. Even if I turn on mirror lockup for manual sensor cleaning from menu, error appears as soon as it tries to lift the front curtain.... I have disassembled camera down to shutter unit to see what's wrong, but with no hope; motor is OK, solenoids are OK too, mechanism seems to be not damaged,everything works as it should. resistance on the solenoid coils is normal. I really can't estimate if the fault is due to shutter unit because I don't have spare one. I have even replaced the bottom PCB, but the same ERR30 appears. Only option is to try to replace shutter unit but.....