Auto ETTR, timelapse and overexposure [Solved, shutterspeed limitation of FRSP]

Started by Peperoros, February 28, 2022, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peperoros

My AETTR and Auto Exposure seems to work fine when it is used with single shots. But as soon as I start using the intervalometer, the exposure goes entirely wrong. It overexposes to the point where it's just a white image.

It seems the shutterspeed is stuck at 1/5th. I have it set to Manual mode because I need it set to that for the full res dng. The settings for the shutterspeed doesn't seem to matter, be it set manually via the Canon settings inside Intervalometer menu or with it off.
I can set it to anything and it's still stuck for Intervalometer only.
Doesn't matter if I use a fully manual(no electronic contacts) or a fully electronic lens.

ISO set to 100. But first shot with AETTR sets it to max ISO until I manually change it and it stays that way for the next shots. At least according to the info. Is perhaps the ISO bugged, showing 100 but actually maxing out after it calculates the exposure?
Doesn't matter if I have dual ISO on or off.

5D3, 1.2.3, nightly build.

Peperoros

I can see now that the shutter is actually moving. It's telling me 1/5th in the liveview dng preview, but the screen above shows different shutterspeeds like it should.
But I also see how the EV is telling me the image is very underexposed. A shot into a bright part of the room maxes out the shutterspeed at 1/8000, yet the EV compensates.

I've looked at tutorials and played around with the settings, yet nothing gives me different results when doing intervalometer.

Walter Schulz

I'm not sure what you are doing.
Are you able to restore ML defaults and give a detailed and complete step-by-step description (written or video) for every single setting you are using?
ALO and HTP are off, right?

Peperoros

I'm trying to use Auto ETTR together with the intervalometer.

I reinstalled 1.2.3 build earlier to check if that was it, but it's the same.
All settings default other than turning on the modules.

I turn on Auto ETTR:
Always On
Highlight Ignore to something low like 5%
Midtone/Shadow SNR limit to any EV value, right now at 2EV on both.
Link To Canon shutter On.

This works when I am in Liveview and I am getting proper results.
But when I start using it with the Intervalometer in the Shoot section, with Full-res DNG for silent shooting, the exposure is now overexposing greatly.
If I aim the camera to something dark that would justify the cameras auto EV setting, the exposure stays the same and the image turns out good.

ALO = auto exposure lock, correct? It's off.
HTP I'm unsure what it is.

https://i.imgur.com/hxmTypZ.jpg

So for this image you can see how Auto ETTR works on the bottom left, but then once I start Intervalometer, the two images on the right happens.

Walter Schulz

I asked for instructions how to reproduce your error. With the instructions given there is too much guesswork involved. Therefore I cannot tell exactly what is going on but I suspect following issues are involved:

There is a bug affecting FRSP and aperture setting when a "modern" lens is used.
https://foss.heptapod.net/magic-lantern/magic-lantern/-/issues/2929

Second: FRSP will over expose if you are outside the "good" values. See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#silent_pictures

ALO= Auto Lighting Optimizer (Canon feature)
HTP = Highlight Tone Priority (Canon feature)

EDIT: Haven't tested these features with lenses without electronic coupling, yet. I would not be surprised if AETTR (at least) will malfunction.

Peperoros

Ah, it is the limitations of the FRSP.. What a shame.
Really strange how this was not brought up in any of the videos or tutorials I watched..!

Well, I have the ND filters to make it work, I only need this for subjects that doesn't move thankfully!

I'll change the title of the thread to Solved, so that it may solve headaches of other newbies..!

Thank you very much for the very quick help and finding what the issue was! I can finally use this camera for timelapses which I love to create!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Peperoros on February 28, 2022, 06:09:23 PM
Really strange how this was not brought up in any of the videos or tutorials I watched..!

We have no authority to modify video/tutorials about ML located on other sites.

Peperoros

Ah, but of course.
I figured that since this is a pretty limiting thing, anyone doing timelapse with AETTR would bring it up.